Sloppy Joes meet tacos in this easy family-pleasing meal! Get your bibs ready!
These taco sloppy joes or “sloppy tacos” if you will are an open faced sandwich that combined the best parts of a taco with the messy fun of a sloppy joe. You’re going to love this wonderful combination of flavors on every bun. This recipe is as adaptable as it is delicious! No matter what ingredients are used, have your napkins handy, it’s gonna be messy!
Sloppy Joe Tacos
Making these Mexican sloppy joes is a fun way to put a casual twist on Taco Tuesdays.
Made with seasoned taco meat, beans, and piled high with your favorite toppings these sandwiches are great as a main dish for dinner, a simple appetizer, or even a fun lunch for the kids. There’s no wrong time to serve up this tasty recipe!
Ingredients you”ll need for Taco Sloppy Joes:
- Ground Turkey
- Garlic Clove
- Chili Powder
- Chipotle Salsa
- Chicken Broth
- Pinto Beans
- Frozen Corn
- Cheddar Cheese
- Shredded Lettuce
- Diced Tomatoes
- Hamburger Buns
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Taco Sloppy Joes
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add in your ground turkey.
- Cook the ground turkey until it has browned, crumbling as it cooks.
- Stir in the black backs.
- Add in the garlic, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add in the broth and salsa. reduce the heat and cook for another 10-25 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
- Split each hamburger bun and to reveal a top and bottom piece.
- Top each bun with the turkey taco mixture and then top it with 1/2 cup of corn, 1/4 cup of cheese, 1/4 cup of lettuce, tomatoes, and avocado before serving.
Feel free to season your taco meat as you please. I used a chipotle flavored salsa, but your family may not like that so use your favorite salsa.
You can use other types of beans as well. I used pinto beans, but you can use black beans, kidney beans, or no beans at all. Just make sure that after you remove the beans from the can that you rinse the beans off well in water to help remove some of that excess sodium and slime they absorb while in the can.
Another variation is that you can easily make these meatless or swap out the ground turkey for another meat choice. Ground chicken, beef, pork, or a vegetarian version would be fine.
Looking for more? Check out these other great taco recipes you’re no doubt going to enjoy!
- Mini Taco Tortilla Cups
- Fusion Grilled Steak Tacos
- Cornbread Taco Bake
- BBQ Beef Walking Tacos
- Asian BBQ Pork Taco Boats
- Blackened Citrus Shrimp Tacos Recipe
- 1 pound Ground Turkey
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Chipotle Salsa, I used Frontera
- 1/4 cup Chicken Broth
- 14 ounces Pinto Beans, Rinsed and drained
- 1 cup Frozen Corn
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 1 cup Lettuce, Shredded
- 1/2 cup Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Avocado, Diced
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground turkey. Cook ground turkey until it has browned, crumbling as it cooks. Stir in black beans. Add garlic, chili powder, oregano, cumin and salt. Stir. Add broth and salsa. Reduce heat and cook for 10- 15 minutes or until mixture has thickened.
Split each hamburger bun. Top each with turkey mixture, ½ cup of corn, ¼ cup of cheese, ¼ cup of lettuce, tomatoes and avocado.