These easy chicken fajitas will be your new go-to recipe. They are made with simple ingredients and come together quickly. Plus they are served with the most delicious homemade salsa on the side. You will be amazed at how easy this recipe is to make. So get your skillet out and let’s get cooking.
What Are Fajitas?
Fajitas are a Mexican dish made with sliced, seasoned beef or chicken served on a hot skillet with bell peppers and onions. They are often served with tortillas, salsa, sour cream, and guacamole. They can also be made with shrimp or other meats.
Fajitas originated in Texas as a way to use cheaper cuts of meat but have become a popular choice at Mexican restaurants worldwide.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Easy Chicken Fajitas
For the chicken fajitas:
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- Medium-sized green bell peppers
- Medium-sized red bell peppers
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Mexican fajitas spice mix (cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and paprika)
- Dried oregano and thyme (optional but nice)
- Tortillas (flour or corn)
For the tomato salsa:
- Heirloom tomatoes
- Medium-sized red onion
- Big bunch of fresh cilantro
- Olive oil
How to Make Easy Chicken Fajitas and Homemade Salsa
- Thinly slice the bell peppers and onion and set them aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips and set them aside.
- Smash or mince the garlic cloves and set them aside.
- Pour the olive oil and crushed garlic in a big pan and cook until the garlic is golden and fragrant.
- Add the peppers and onion and season with salt and 1 teaspoon of the Mexican fajitas spice mix. Season with the dried oregano and thyme if you are using them.
- Cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes until they are soft. Remove the veggies from the pan.
- Add a bit more olive oil to the pan if needed and add the chicken strips and the other 2 teaspoons of the spice mix. Mix well and cook for 10 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, add the cooked veggies back to the pan and mix well. Keep cooking for around 10 more minutes.
- Right before serving, heat the tortillas in a pan and serve the chicken fajitas on top.
Homemade tomato salsa:
- Roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Process the tomatoes in the food processor until they are pureed.
- Finely dice the red onion.
- Finely chop the cilantro.
- Combine the tomato puree, onion, and cilantro in a bowl.
- Dress with lime juice, olive oil, and salt.
Tips for Making the Best Fajitas
If you follow this recipe, you will have delicious chicken fajitas. But here are a few tips to make sure you have the best fajitas:
- Use the freshest ingredients, especially the bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes, for maximum flavor.
- Slice the chicken against the grain to ensure it is tender when cooked.
- Serve the fajitas with your choice of the following toppings and sides—shredded cheese, guacamole or sliced avocado, pico de gallo, sour cream, salsa, or rice.
- Add some heat by including jalapenos or hot sauce on the side for those who like it spicy.
- Although it is not traditional, you can drizzle some of the homemade salsa inside each chicken fajita.
- Serve the homemade tomato salsa with some crunchy tortilla chips on the side.
Chicken Fajitas FAQs
How do I store leftover chicken fajitas?
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
How do I reheat leftover chicken fajitas?
When you are ready to eat the leftovers, reheat the fajita filling as well as the tortillas in a pan for best results.
Can I make the homemade tomato salsa ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the salsa ahead of time. I recommend making it at least a couple of hours in advance so the flavors can develop.
How do I store the extra salsa?
Store the salsa in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Other Mexican Recipes
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Mexican Street Corn Flatbread Pizza
- Mexican Cornbread
- Mexican Sprinkle Cookies
These easy chicken fajitas are meal-prep friendly, juicy, and delicious. They are made with simple ingredients, and the homemade salsa on the side is mouth-watering. The flavors are vibrant, and you can tailor the dish to your taste preferences. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the tasty Mexican-inspired flavors.
Easy Chicken Fajitas (with the Most Delicious Homemade Salsa)
The easiest and most delicious chicken fajitas are served with an
insanely good homemade tomato salsa on the side.
For the chicken fajitas:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 medium-sized green bell peppers
- 2 medium-sized red bell peppers
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons Mexican fajitas spice mix (cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and paprika)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano and thyme (optional but nice)
- Flour tortillas to serve them (wheat or corn)
For the tomato salsa:
- 3 heirloom tomatoes
- 1 medium-sized red onion.
- 1 big bunch of fresh cilantro
- 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
Wash the peppers and slice them thinly, set
Peel the white onion and slice it thinly, set aside.
Cut the chicken breasts into strips, set aside.
Peel and smash or mince the garlic cloves, and set aside.
In a big pan add the two tablespoons of olive oil and the crushed garlic cloves, and cook them until golden fragrant.
Add the peppers and onion and season with salt and 1 tablespoon of Mexican spices and herbs.
Cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes until soft. Remove when ready.
Add a bit more olive oil if needed into the pan and add the chicken strips, salt, and the other 2 Mexican spices mix, mix well and cook for 10 minutes on medium-low heat.
Once the chicken is cooked evenly, add back the cooked peppers and onion and
mix well. Keep cooking for around 10 more minutes.
Right before eating, heat the flour tortillas in a pan, and serve the chicken
fajitas on top.
Start by washing the tomatoes and chopping them roughly.
Process them in the food processor until a puree is achieved.
Dice the red onion finely.
Chop the cilantro finely.
In a bowl add the processed tomato puree, the diced red onion, and finely chopped cilantro.
Dress with lime juice, olive oil, and salt.
The chicken fajitas are absolutely delicious, juicy and meal prep friendly. They can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container. Once you want to eat them, reheat them gently in a pan, as well as the flour tortillas. This chicken fajitas can be served with white rice as well on the side.
This homemade tomato salsa is very good for dipping with some crunchy totopos to be served on the side, or also to drizzle a bit inside each chicken fajita (although not traditional, very nice) It can be made in advance (I highly recommend doing it at least a couple of hours in advance so the flavors can really develop)
It can be stored for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Leave a Reply