This pico de gallo recipe is refreshing and bursting with flavors. It’s juicy, fresh, aromatic, savory, and crunchy. Plus it’s simple to follow, tastes amazing, and is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a party or just want something tasty to eat, this recipe is sure to please. So get ready to enjoy the best pico de gallo you’ve ever tasted.
What Is Pico de Gallo?
Pico de gallo, also known as salsa fresca or salsa cruda, originated in Mexico and dates back to the Aztec and Mayan civilizations. In traditional culture, it was made with chopped tomatoes, onions, chilies, cilantro, and lime juice. Today, there are many variations on the traditional recipe including the addition of avocado or different types of peppers.
Pico de gallo is often used as a topping or dip for tacos and other Mexican dishes. Unlike cooked salsa, pico de gallo maintains a crisp texture and bright flavor. It is easy to customize pico de gallo to individual taste by adjusting the ratio of ingredients or adding extra ingredients.
You can make pico de gallo in minutes, and it doesn’t require any cooking. Whether enjoyed at a Mexican restaurant or homemade at home, pico de gallo will add some spice to your meal.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Pico de Gallo
- Red bell pepper
- Green bell pepper
- Medium-sized tomatoes
- Red onion
- Big bunch of fresh cilantro
- Olive oil
- Chili flakes
How to Make Pico de Gallo
- Wash the veggies.
- Remove the bell pepper stem and seeds. Cut the bell peppers into thin strips then finely chop.
- Thinly slice the red onion then finely chop.
- Remove the stem from the tomatoes then finely dice.
- Cut off and discard the stem ends of the cilantro. Chop the cilantro.
- Combine the chopped veggies and cilantro in a bowl. Mix in the lime juice, olive oil, salt, and chili flakes.
- Serve with corn nachos, if desired.
Tips, Variations, and Ideas for Using Pico de Gallo
Here are some tips and variations to try with your next batch of pico de gallo:
- For a spicier pico de gallo, add more jalapeños or use hotter varieties of peppers.
- To make it sweeter, add in some diced mango or pineapple.
- If you can’t find ripe tomatoes, substitute with cherry tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes.
- For a variation on traditional pico de gallo, add black beans or corn for a Mexican street corn flavor.
- Switch out the cilantro for fresh parsley or basil for a different herb flavor.
- Add in avocado for creaminess and texture.
- You can serve this pico de gallo right away, but letting it sit for 15 to 20 minutes will help the flavors develop.
Here are some ideas for using pico de gallo:
- Use pico de gallo as a side dish for a meal.
- Serve it with tortilla or corn chips to entertain guests before the main meal.
- Use it in a variety of ways for a Mexican-themed party.
- Give it a try on grilled meats, eggs, or sandwiches.
Pico de Gallo FAQs
Can I make pico de gallo ahead of time?
If you are going to make the pico de gallo ahead of time, do not mix in the lime juice, olive oil, salt, and chili flakes until the moment of serving, especially if you are going to prepare it the day before. This will prevent the lime juice from losing its freshness and the veggies from turning a bit too soft.
How do I store leftover pico de gallo?
You can store leftover pico de gallo in a sealed container in the fridge for 1 day.
Is pico de gallo gluten-free?
Yes, pico de gallo is gluten-free because it doesn’t contain any wheat or gluten-containing ingredients.
Can I make pico de gallo without cilantro?
While cilantro is a traditional ingredient in pico de gallo, you can leave it out for personal preference. You can replace the cilantro with parsley, but the flavor may be a little different.
Other Mexican Recipes
- Mexican Street Corn Salsa Hummus
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Mexican Mac and Cheese
This pico de gallo is a quick and easy addition to many dishes, with the added bonus of being customizable to individual taste preferences. It will add a burst of freshness to any dish. Give it a try as a topping for tacos or serve it as a side dish at your next gathering. You won’t be disappointed with this fresh and flavorful pico de gallo recipe.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 7-8 tomatoes (medium-sized)
- 1 red onion
- 1 big bunch of fresh cilantro
- 3 limes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons chili flakes
Wash thoroughly all the veggies but the red onion.
Cut them as follows:
- Bell peppers: remove the stem and the seeds and cut them into thin strips, then chop finely.
- Red onion: peel it and slice thinly, then chop finely.
- Tomatoes: remove the stem and dice finely.
- Chop the cilantro discarding a bit of the end of the steams.
In a bowl combine the chopped veggies and cilantro and dress with the juice of the limes, olive oil, salt, and chili flakes.
Serve with some corn nachos
It can be served immediately, however letting it sit for 15-20 minutes will help the flavors develop.
It can be prepared in advance, but in this case do not dress it until the moment of serving, especially if you are going to prepare it the day before. This will prevent the lime juice from losing its freshness and the veggies to turn a bit too soft.
Leftovers are good for 1 day and stored in the fridge