Cashewmilk adds an unexpected flavor to this easy chicken curry recipe!
You’re going to love this Easy Chicken Curry Recipe with Cashews.
You’re going to love this creamy cashew chicken curry. It’s a wonderful balance of cream, spice, and tender chicken in every bite. Serve it over rice for a filling meal that the whole family can enjoy. Making this easy chicken curry recipe with yogurt is what helps to give us the best flavor and consistency and once you try it this way you’ll never go back to the old recipes again. This chicken curry with cashews is sure to be a huge hit with the whole family!
Easy Chicken Curry Recipe
This easy chicken curry recipe is nothing like that fiery Vindaloo! It has quite a mild (although you can add heat if you’d like), creamy, and it’s delicately flavorful. Bite-sized chicken pieces get marinated with cashews, yogurt, tomato paste, and seasoning, then cooked until lightly browned. Broth and Almond Breeze Almondmilk Cashewmilk is stirred in with the chicken. The cashew milk makes this dish creamy and nutty but remains light and subtle. Top your curry with cilantro and cashews and dig in! A quick and easy chicken curry recipe for any cook on any night of the week!
For the marinade, you will need:
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Tomato paste
- Garlic cloves
- Lemon juice
You will also need:
- Vegetable oil
- Chicken broth
- Unsweetened Almond Breeze Almondmilk Cashewmilk Blend
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Easy Chicken Curry Recipe with Cashews
- To make the marinade start by combining the cashews with the yogurt, 3 tablespoons of tomato paste, salt, coriander, paprika, cumin, ginger, garlic, and lemon juice in a food processor until smooth.
- Coat your chicken pieces with the yogurt mixture and cover. Let marinate for at least one hour in the fridge.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add in oil.
- Add in the onions and cook until translucent, this should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the marinated chicken and sprinkle the top with some cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Allow the chicken pieces to cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth and the remaining tomato paste and cashew milk.
- Cook the mixture for another 2-3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Serve your curry over rice.
- Garnish with cilantro and cashews if desired.
How do I make the sauce if I do not have a food processor?
If you have a blender that you think is powerful enough to handle the nuts, you can try mixing the sauce together in that. You can also make the sauce in the blender while crushing the cashews in a Ziploc bag by hitting the nuts with a rolling pin and then stirring them into the marinade.
How do I marinate chicken?
For this recipe, you will need to place the marinade and the chicken into a bowl and cover the top with plastic wrap. Place into the fridge to rest for at least one hour. You can marinate for up to 8 hours if needed but not longer than that as the marinade will cause the chicken to turn out hard and chewy if left for too long. This is because the marinade will break down the chicken proteins.
How long is chicken curry good for?
You can keep your leftovers stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat again until warmed through, before serving and enjoy!
For more flavorful recipes check out these tasty dishes:
- Quick Vegetarian Curry
- Curried Lamb Meatballs
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry over Peanut Butter Noodles
- Lamb Burgers Recipe
- Chicken Shawarma Skillet Pizza
- Vegetarian Tikka Masala
Easy Chicken Curry with Cashews
A blend of flavors come together to make this flavorful and easy chicken curry!
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup Unsweetened Almond Breeze Almondmilk Cashewmilk Blend
- To prepare the marinade, combine cashews, yogurt, 3 tablespoons of tomato paste, salt, coriander, paprika, cumin, ginger, garlic and lemon juice in a food processor. Mix until smooth and combined.
- Coat chicken pieces with yogurt mixture; cover and marinade for at least an hour.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook just until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add marinaded chicken and sprinkle with cinnamon, stir.
- Allow chicken pieces to cook for 5 -7 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, remaining tomato paste and cashew milk blend.
- Cook mixture another 2-3 minutes or until sauce comes together and thickens slightly.
- Serve curry over rice. Top with cilantro and cashews if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 415Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 24gCholesterol 3mgSodium 1069mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 7gSugar 14gProtein 16g
Kacey @ The Cookie Writer says
This is a great, hearty meal! My family would really enjoy it! Plus, so healthy and easy 🙂
This sounds fantastic! And your photos are stunning!
Faith (An Edible Mosaic) says
I am always in the mood for Indian food and this looks so good! I love how easy it is to make too – perfect for a weeknight meal and I bet so much more delicious than eating out!
Sounds so flavorful! And is really easy to prepare 🙂
Oh goodness! I stay away from spicy things with a 39.5 foot pole, just like the Grinch 🙂
Lauren @ Healthy Delicious says
That sauce!!! It looks so good I almost want to lick the screen. 🙂
Nutmeg Nanny says
This looks so good! It’s perfect for the crazy weeknight rush and looks packed full of flavor.
Krista @ Joyful Healthy Eats says
This looks crazy comforting! I wish I had a bowl in front of me right now. I’ve never made curry before but after seeing this I’m totally gonna try it! YUM!
I wasn’t able to find the cashew milk.
What is the measurement on the yogurt? I’m dying to try this recipe out.
That’s a 1/2 a cup.
Carolyn Smythe says
Would it work to do the the preparation in a blender..I do not have a food processor
It sounds delicious!!
Sure as long as your blender can handle the nuts! You could always prepare the sauce in the blender and place the cashews in a ziptop bag. Smash the nuts with a rolling pin then stir them into the marinade.
Would you please update the recipe to show the 1/2 cup of yoghurt – it will save others having to look through the comments to see if someone else has already asked.
Love the site!
I’m so happy you are here! The 1/2 cup of yogurt is listed in the ingredients, am I missing it elsewhere?
Thank you for your quick response.
This is really strange. The yoghurt was definitely missing from the recipe I read, so I went to the comments to see if anyone else has asked the same question and received a response. I found the comment below following your recipe (and your response), and so suggested an ‘update’ to your recipe to save others having to search for quantities – maybe Deidre (below), and I, have viewed your recipe through a third party.
DEIDRE — JULY 23, 2016 at 9:26 PM
What is the measurement on the yogurt? I’m dying to try this recipe out.
CUP is still missing from Greek yogurt. Just says “1/2 plain Greek yogurt.”
Regardless, I printed this recipe for making in the next few days. Looks and sounds fabulous. Will report back. Thank you for sharing on your site.
Darren K. says
I love Indian food and make it often, usually spicy as heck, but as it is summer I thought I’d try a nice mild recipe tonight. I had a bag of raw cashews in the cupboard so looked online for a recipe that I could use them in and came across this page.
I almost followed the recipe verbatim, but I did add some red chili powder and a little more paprika, cumin and coriander just to give the recipe a little bite. I also used a fresh ginger paste and minced garlic from a jar. It was very good – my wife and kids also enjoyed it. Thanks!
Tanya Schroeder says
I am so glad your whole family enjoyed this! Even my pick son likes this recipe.