The cheesy queso fundido dip has BIG flavor! The crockpot does most of the work; it stays hot, bubbly and ready when you need it!
This cheese dip is always the life of the party!
I was recently asked what was my favorite thing to cook; what was I good at making? It’s hard to answer what you love the most because there are so many things I love to make. Plus what I love to make isn’t necessarily the same thing as what I am good at creating.
However, to answer the question, I would say my favorite thing to make would be finger foods or munchies. I LOVE snack food, the appetizer is my favorite course!
If the appetizers involve hot, melted cheese, then even better! This Queso Fundido fits all my requirements, it is hot, melted, cheesy, spicy, easy and so, so good!
What Is Queso Fundido Dip?
Queso fundido is a thick, cheesy sauce that is served hot and melted and is filled with chorizo sausage and spices whereas queso (or queso blanco) is melted cheese only.
I have seen variations where queso fundido is melted cheese with sliced peppers onions, but the meat-filled version is the most popular (and tastiest in my opinion!
What Do You Need For This Queso Fundido Recipe?
Chorizo – You only need a few links for this recipe. Chorizo is a seasoned pork sausage that has a bit of heat and spice to it. It is popular in Spanish and Mexican cuisines. You can find it near the ground pork, brats or Italian sausages in your grocery store.
Cream Cheese – You can use any variety (regular, reduced-fat, Neufchatel, or Greek yogurt).
Shredded Cheddar Cheese – I used sharp cheddar, but a mixture of sharp and white cheddar would be great!
Oaxaca Cheese – Or queso cheese. This is a semi-hard cheese that has a string-like consistency similar to mozzarella. You can find this with the specialty, or International cheeses and foods.
How To Make Crockpot Queso Fundido
Crumble the chorizo into a large skillet placed over medium-high heat. Cook chorizo until browned and crumbly. Drain the sausage and set aside
Place the cheeses and the cream in a 2-quart crockpot; stir. Allow the mixture to cook in the crockpot until melted and bubbly, about 1 hour. Stir in the cooked chorizo.
Keep the cheese-covered, but set the crockpot to low.
Tips For Making Crockpot Queso Fundido
- You can prepare this dip on the stovetop. Prepare the sausage and set aside, Place the remaining ingredients in a saucepan and cook until the cheese melts, making sure you stir often. Stir in the chorizo. Place the mixture into a slow cooker to keep warm.
- Replace some of the cheddar cheese with shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Cook the chorizo with onions and peppers.
- Add jalapenos, porblanos or green chilies.
- Add a little beer along with the heavy cream.
How To Eat Crockpot Queso Fundido?
You can definitely eat this straight out of the crockpot! However, this can also be made and served in a cast-iron skillet or poured into a baking dish,
Serve this cheese dip with tortilla chips, flour tortillas, sliced peppers, or sturdy crackers or bread rounds.
How To Reheat This Queso Fundido Recipe
If you have leftover queso fundido, reheat any leftover in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring every 30 seconds until the cheese is melted and ooey-gooey.
Alternatively, place leftover cheese dip in a small saucepan placed over medium heat. Cook until the cheese is melted and smooth stirring often.
Other Cheesy Appetizers
- 3 chorizo links cooked and crumbled
- 8 oz cream cheese
- Oaxaca cheese (1 10 oz package)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Crumble the chorizo into a large skillet placed over medium-high heat. Cook chorizo until browned and crumbly. Drain the sausage and set aside.
- Place the cheeses and the cream in a 2-quart crockpot; stir. Allow the mixture to cook in the crockpot until melted and bubbly, about 1 hour. Stir in the cooked chorizo.
- Keep the cheese-covered, but set the crockpot to low.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 109Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 27mgSodium 177mgCarbohydrates 1gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 4g