Crispy onion rings couldn’t be easier to enjoy at home! Buttermilk and spicy flour will coat and season these onions perfectly. The blue cheese sauce is the perfect place to dunk them!
You’re going to love this crispy fried onions recipe. Made from scratch and serve with a tasty blue cheese sauce on the side this dish is a great appetizer or snack.
Once you try this crispy fried onion rings recipe you’ll see how easy it is to make at home and never want to go out to get some again. Save money and control the quality by making these easy homemade onion rings and let your onion obsession grow.
Onion Rings Appetizer
For this recipe, I coated my rings with a buttermilk/egg mixture then dunked them into a combination of flour and bbq seasoning. I used a jar seasoning mix, but you can use what you like or omit it altogether. The bbq flavor is very subtle; it’s more of an undertone.
The blue cheese sauce is a tangy, cool contrast for the seasoned, crispy onion rings. I am always looking for an excuse to add more blue cheese to my diet, but if blue cheese is not your thing, your favorite condiment will work nicely. These rings are really perfect enough all on their own, you could skip the condiment altogether.
Ingredients you’ll need for Crispy Onion Rings:
For the onion rings, you will need:
- All-purpose flour
- BBQ seasoning
- Canola oil
For the sauce, you will need:
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Sour cream
- Garlic clove
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Crispy Onion Rings with Blue Cheese Sauce
- Pour oil into a deep skillet and allow it to heat up until it reaches 365 degrees F. (A little hotter than medium heat but not quite medium-high).
- In a shallow pan combine the eggs and buttermilk with a whisk until combined.
- In another dish, combine the flour, and bbq seasoning.
- Dip each onion ring into the buttermilk mixture, making sure to cover it completely.
- Place the wet rings into the flour mixture and return to coat both sides well. shake off the excess flour and gently place the onions into the hot oil. The oil should immediately begin to bubble up around the onions rings.
- Allow the onion rings to brown on one side for about 3-4 minutes before turning over to do the other side.
- remove the onion rings and place them onto a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
- Repeat with the remaining rings.
- Meanwhile, combine the blue cheese and the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, adding in some more milk as needed if the mixture is too thick.
- Serve the blue cheese dip with the onions rings and enjoy!
- Be sure to allow your oil to get hot enough. If you are a thermometer kind of person then 365 degrees is what you want. If you are a visual person like myself, then use a “test” onion. If it sinks as soon as you place it in the oil, then the oil is hot enough. The oil should bubble up around the onion ring as soon as the oil meets the onion.
- The onion rings only take 3-4 minutes to become crispy. Let the onions sit for that whole time before you touch, poke or prod them. This will ensure the coating stays on the onion ring. Flip them and let the second side get just as golden. Remove your onion rings to a paper towel to drain off any excess grease.
- Another note about adding your rings, be sure you do not add too many rings to your oil at once. Crowding will do two things, reduce the oil temperature and cause the rings to stick together-and take off the flavorful coating.
What kind of onion is used for rings?
Usually yellow onions, white onions are sweet onions are used for onion rings. White onions are the most popular but sweet onions give off a much nicer flavor because they get even sweeter as they cook.
How to make homemade onion rings in the air fryer?
- Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees F. Do this by setting the temperature and adjusting the timer to 5 minutes. Allow the Air Fryer to “cook” for that 5 minutes with nothing inside.
- Prepare the onion rings as directed and place onto a plate.
- Drizzle the tops with some olive oil and lay a few rings into the Air Fryer in a single layer. Leave a little space between each ring and do not overcrowd the basket. Work in batches if needed.
- Fry for 8-11 minutes or until golden and crispy. Repeat as needed.
How long is blue cheese sauce good for?
This sauce can be kept well covered or stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, giving you plenty of time to try it with all your dipping needs.
More delicious onion recipes for us onion lovers:
- Caramelized Onion and Spinach Quiche
- French Onion Ground Beef Casserole
- French Onion Skillet Beef Casserole
- Onion Dip
- Turkey Melt with Caramelized Onions and Spicy Pumpkin Mayo
- Cheesy Mashed Potatoes with Gruyere and Caramelized Onions
For the onion rings
- 2 large onions cut into thick slices
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoon bbq seasoning (such as McCormick Grilling Mates)
- Canola oil
For the sauce
- 2 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place 2 inches of oil in a deep skillet. Allow oil to heat up to about 365 degrees.
- In a shallow pan, combine eggs and buttermilk whisking until combined.
- In a separate dish, combine flour and bbq seasoning.
- Dip each onion ring into buttermilk mixture, covering completely.
- Place wet rings into flour mixture turning rings to coat.
- Shake off excess flour and gently place onion rings into hot oil. Oil should immediately begin to bubble up around the onion rings.
- Allow onion rings to brown up on one side this should take 3-4 minutes.
- Turn onion rings over and allow the second side to crisp up. Remove onion rings to a paper towel lined baking sheet to drain.
- Repeat with the remaining rings.
- Meanwhile combine blue cheese and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Add more milk if mixture is too thick.
- Serve blue cheese sauce with onion rings.
Amount Per Serving Calories 164Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 47mgSodium 250mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 7g