Creamy baked chicken has a thick and rich sauce made with a little help from a secret ingredient!
Herb flavored fresh-tasting, cheesy chicken goodness in every bite. Serve over pasta for a complete meal.
This creamy baked chicken is a wonderful comfort dish that brings color and warmth to every plate. This meal comes together fast and easy making it perfect for a busy day when you just want something simple but delicious. The light-colored sauce and vibrantly colored tomatoes and parsley on top make this dish a perfect meal to serve up to guests too.
If you’re looking for a dish that looks and sounds fancy but is truly simple at heart, then this is definitely it. With just a few steps and ingredients you can have a heart-warming chicken meal in minutes.
The Ultimate Comfort Food
This meal is filled with warm chicken, creamy cheese, and crispy bacon. I served this chicken over pasta but even cooked white rice would be nice to serve it up with too. The creamy sauce is actually made with Alouette Cheese which makes the sauce taste luscious and adds an irresistible herb flavor. This is the ultimate comfort food!
- Chicken breasts
- Baby Bella mushrooms
- All-purpose flour
- Chicken broth
- Garlic and herb spread (Alouette)
- Roma tomatoes
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Creamy Baked Chicken
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pan on the stove, cook your bacon until crisp. Remove and then set it aside.
- Wipe out and remove all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease from the pan.
- Season your chicken with salt and pepper and then cook in the bacon grease until browned.
- Remove the chicken and place it into a casserole dish.
- Add your butter to the pan. When melted, stir in the flour.
- Add in the diced onions and mushrooms.
- Whisk and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the broth and cheese spread. Continue stirring until smooth.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle with tomatoes and crumbled bacon.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Prepare pasta as directed on package instructions and serve your creamy chicken over the cooked pasta.
- Enjoy warm!
- Keep your leftover chicken in cheese sauce stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. Reheat when ready to eat.
- If using a different cut of chicken like thighs or chicken tenders keep in mind that the chicken will cook at a different rate of time. Your chicken is safe and ready to eat when it reaches 165 degrees F.
What goes well with creamy chicken?
This dish is meant to be served on top of cooked pasta noodles for a full flavor experience so serving it with simple vegetable side dishes sounds ideal. Recipes like my Greek Green Beans and/or an Easy Spinach Salad can make for a great full meal. Not only that but it helps to add in some much needed greens to the plate and added nutrition as well.
How do I know when my chicken is finished cooking?
Your chicken will be finished cooking when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Use an instant read thermometer to check on the internal temperature before serving. You can also use an in-oven meat thermometer as the chicken bakes so that you know when it is ready without having to remove the pan from the oven, making it far more convenient.
What kind of pasta should I serve with creamy baked chicken?
I usually opt for serving this dish alongside longer and thicker noodles like linguini or fettuccini but you can honestly serve it with any noodles you have on hand. While longer noodles might look nicer, you can also chop the chicken into small bite sized pieces and serve it with smaller noodles like rigatoni or penne.
If you don’t want to serve this dish with noodles another great option would be to serve it with some cooked white rice like basmati. Either option works wonderfully and the creamy cause from the chicken pairs well with both!
More yummy chicken dinner recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- 4 boneless chicken breast
- 4 slices of bacon
- 8 oz baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 140z can chicken broth
- 1 4.6 oz container garlic and herb spread (Alouette)
- 2 large Roma tomatoes chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook bacon in a large pan until crisp. Remove and set aside. Wipe all but 2 tablespoon of bacon grease from pan. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook in bacon grease until browned. Remove and place chicken in casserole dish.
- Add butter to pan, when melted stir in flour. Add in diced onions and mushrooms. Whisk and cook about 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and cheese spread. Continue to stir until smooth. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle with tomatoes and crumbled bacon.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Serve chicken over pasta.
Amount Per Serving Calories 500Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 138mgSodium 1124mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 49g