Creamy baked chicken has a thick and rich sauce made with a little help from a secret ingredient! This is pure comfort food!
I drove through my old neighborhood today. By old, I mean the house I lived in from birth to 12 years old. It felt so strange. With every turn, I was flooded with memories and names. It seemed as though each house had a special meaning to me. I either knew someone who had lived there or I simply remember riding my bike or playing with friends along those streets.
The house I grew up in has changed quite a bit on the outside. When we lived there it was yellow, then red. Now it’s a neutral shade with a wooden door. Only the chain link fence remains the same. The house and yard seemed so small. How did we all fit? The funny thing, as a kid, the house seemed enormous! There was always plenty of room in the living room for me to practice dance routines and cartwheels. The closets were spacious enough for me to hide in when I was feeling blue or got in trouble. Our family of five always seemed to be able to eat in the kitchen together. Our basement was large enough for an extra bedroom, living room, kitchen and storage. The yard was equally as giving. Our backyard felt like it would stretch for acres! So much room to jump rope, swing and play tag with friends!!!
It was nice reflecting upon a simpler time in my life. It was a time when all that mattered to me was summer break and birthdays. The house of my childhood may have been small, but it was cozy. It was home and it was comforting. It was a good place to grow up. I hope my kids feel the same way when they look back upon this house and this time.
I made this creamy baked chicken today. I was in the mood for comfort food, especially after my trip through memory lane. It was delicious! Warm chicken with creamy cheese and crispy bacon. I served this chicken over pasta. It was the ultimate comfort food! The creamy sauce is actually made with Alouette Cheese. It makes the sauce taste luscious and adds an irresistible herb flavor.
Easy Baked Chicken
- 4 boneless chicken breast
- 4 slices of bacon
- 8 oz baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 140z can chicken broth
- 1 4.6 oz container garlic and herb spread (Alouette)
- 2 large Roma tomatoes chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook bacon in a large pan until crisp. Remove and set aside. Wipe all but 2 tablespoon of bacon grease from pan. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook in bacon grease until browned. Remove and place chicken in casserole dish.
- Add butter to pan, when melted stir in flour. Add in diced onions and mushrooms. Whisk and cook about 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and cheese spread. Continue to stir until smooth. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle with tomatoes and crumbled bacon.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Serve chicken over pasta.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 500Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 138mgSodium 1124mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 49g
(original photo: post updated October 2016)