This salt and pepper chicken is a Chinese dish that many of you may already know and love, but have you ever had it made at home?
Why pay for salt and pepper chicken takeaway when you can have it prepared for you in a matter of minutes and in the comfort of your own kitchen?
This recipe is super simple and easy and truly does not take long at all to make, which makes it perfect for any occasion. With red chiles, Chinese 5-spice, garlic, and scallions this tasty chicken recipe is sure to hit the spot.
Homemade Chinese food
This Chinese-style salt and pepper chicken is a perfect side dish or main dish to your meal. Serve it up with some Egg Fried Rice, egg rolls, and chicken chow mein or even Homemade Shrimp Lo Mein for a full meal that will no doubt be packed full of flavor.
This dish is so easy to make that you may never want to pay for takeaway again.
Ingredients You’ll Need For Chinese Salt and Pepper Chicken:
- Black Pepper
- Chinese five-spice
- Vegetable oil
- Red Chilli
- Green Chilli
- Garlic cloves
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Chinese Salt and Pepper Chicken:
In a bowl, mix together the cornstarch, salt, black pepper, and Chinese 5 spice.
Sprinkle it over the chicken thigh fillets and toss them together well to coat.
In a skillet on the stove, heat 1 cup of vegetable oil.
Add the chicken to the oil once hot. Fry a piece at a time and for about 5-7 minutes.
In another frying pan heat up 2 tablespoons of oil.
Add in the scallions, red and green chilies as well as salt and pepper. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
Turn the heat down to the medium and add in the garlic and onions.
Once the chicken is fully cooked, add it to the frying pan as well and mix everything together for one minute before serving hot.
- Chinese 5 spice is a blend of herbs and spices you can find in most spice sections of grocery stores. If not, you can DIY your own blend following this recipe.
- We use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts because thighs are less likely to become dried out while cooking at high temps thanks to the darker meat. You can use white breast meat if preferred.
How long are leftovers good for?
You can keep your chicken leftovers for about 3-5 days in the fridge. Simply reheat it to eat later.
How do I know when my salt and pepper chicken is ready?
Your chicken will be ready to eat when it is nicely golden in color on the outside and fully cooked on the inside. The internal temperature of the chicken will be 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer and you shouldn’t see any pink color from the inside of the meat when sliced through.
Is salt and pepper chicken spicy?
Yes, this would be considered a rather spicy dish thanks to the chilies. You can however adjust the spice level to taste by reducing the amount of spice added to this dish. Alternatively, you can add in more spicy chilies if desired.
Check out these other great chicken recipes:
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Kiev
- Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Legs
- Chicken Florentine Soup Recipe
- Spicy Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- ½ Cup Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 ¼ Tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Chinese five-spice
- 6 Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 Onion - peeled and chopped into large chunks (about 1.5-2cm across)
- 1 Red Chilli (chopped)
- 1 green Chilli (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- ½ Cup Scallions (chopped)
- Mix together the cornflour, salt, black pepper, and Chinese five-spice.
- Sprinkle over the chicken thigh fillets and toss them together to coat.
- Heat 1 cup of oil and add the chicken to the oil a piece at a time. Fry for about 5-7 minutes.
- In a separate frying pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil.
- Add scallions, red and green chilies, salt, and black pepper. Fry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn down the heat to medium and add in the garlic and onions.
- Add the chicken to the frying pan and mix everything together for 1 minute.
- Serve and ENJOY!