Blondie Brownies made with lots of brown sugar, a hint of almond and tart cherry M & M candies!
I sometimes think I prefer blondies to traditional brownies (check out these Trail Mix Blondies or these Carrot Cake Blondies to see why). These blondies are particularly good. They are very soft and the brown sugar is very pronounced. I added a touch of almond extract because almonds and cherries are a perfect pair. Cherry M & M’s (I found mine at Target) are amazing! They are tart just like chocolate-covered cherries! They were fabulous in this blondie, perfect for Valentine’s Day or any day you crave something sweet!
Please note that since writing this recipe Cherry M&Ms have become discontinued. This means this recipe will need to be adapted so that you can get that same great taste you want even if you can’t get the products you need. I will not be updating the recipe to reflect the substitutions because there may come a day when these candies are brought back, and when they are, this recipe will be ready.
To adapt this recipe without cherry M&Ms, simply use regular M&Ms (like the pink and red Valentine’s Day variety) and add in 1 teaspoon of cherry extract, you should be able to find this at your local Walmart or online retailers like Amazon.
If desired you can also add in 1/2 cup of maraschino cherries that have been dried on a paper towel and chopped into pieces. Candied cherries may work well too.
- Melted butter
- Brown sugar
- Large eggs
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Almond Extract
- Cherry M & M’s
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Cherry M & M Blondies
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and spray the inside of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Melt your butter in a bowl and then stir in the eggs and sugar.
- Stir in the extracts.
- In another bowl, combine the flour with the baking soda and salt.
- Add your dry ingredients to the wet ones, stirring until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. note that your batter will be thick.
- Press the M&Ms onto the blondies and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the edges begin to pull away and a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean or with just a few crumbs on it.
- The blondies will be soft in the center.
- Wait a few minutes for the blondies to cool before slicing and serving.
How long are M&M blondies good for?
These blondies can last up to a week if kept stored in an airtight container at room temperature. You can even keep the blondies stored in the freezer for up to 3 months, in an airtight container. Great if you’re trying to serve up small squares in lunch boxes or trying to make them in advance of a party.
What are blondies?
Blondies are just like brownies except for the fact that they lack cocoa powder. Brownies are traditionally seen as chewy on the outside and soft and fudgy on the inside, just like these blondies. The only difference between these bar treats is the coloration and flavor. brownies will be dark in color and have a chocolate flavor whereas blondies are much lighter in color and taste more like vanilla.
Whether you like blondies or brownies, you’re going to like these fun and tasty recipe suggestions!
- Baileys Salted Caramel Fudgy Brownies
- Raspberry Amaretto Cheesecake Skillet Blondie
- Nutella Skillet Brownie
- Browned Butter Blondies with Chai Spice Frosting
- Red Velvet Brownies
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 6.6 oz package Cherry M & M's
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9 x13 inch pan.
- Melt butter in a bowl. Stir in sugar and eggs. Stir in extracts.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan (batter will be thick.)
- Press M & M’s onto blondies. Bake for 25 minutes or until edges begin to pull away and toothpick inserted in the center only pulls out a few crumbs.
- Blondies will soft in the center.
Serving Size1 bar
Amount Per Serving Calories 149Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 29mgSodium 192mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 1gSugar 14gProtein 2g