Soft and moist chocolate cupcakes made with real Cherry Coke are the base for these decadent Cherry Coke Cupcakes!
The buttercream is cherry flavored, it is pink and deliciously creamy!
These Cherry Coke cupcakes start with soda infused chocolate cake that gets topped with an ultra creamy cherry buttercream! Each bite is pure delight! These cupcakes look like a fun and retro throwback to the 50’s. Just picture them with sockhops and poodle skirts, perfect for any themed party.
What are Cherry Coke Cupcakes?
These Cherry Coke cupcakes have Cherry Coke in the cake themselves, which by magic, makes them super moist. There is a chocolate glaze made with Cherry Coke that sits daintily between the frosting and the cake! The frosting gets its hue and an extra dose of sweetness from maraschino cherry juice. Over the top and ultra-delicious!!!!
- Devils food cake mix
- Instant chocolate pudding mix
- Sour cream
- Vegetable oil
- Cherry coke soda
- Maraschino cherry juice
- Cocoa powder
- Softened butter
- Powdered sugar
For the exact amounts needed, you will need to see the recipe card below.
How to Make Cherry Coke Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line your muffin pans with paper liners and then set them aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, and oil. Mix until combined.
- Add in eggs, coke, and cherry juice, stir until incorporated.
- Use a large cookie scoop to fill your muffin liners about 2/3 of the way full. There should be enough batter for 24 cupcakes.
- bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Let the cupcakes stand in the pan for 5 minutes before removing them and placing them on a wire rack to cool completely.
For the glaze:
- Make the glaze by combining the coke and the sugar in a bowl until well mixed.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. if needed, add in more cola soda to get the consistency to not be too thick.
- Spread the glaze over the top of the cupcakes and let set before frosting.
For the frosting:
- Make the frosting by beating together the butter and shortening in a bowl until creamy.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time until fully added.
- Add in your cherry juice by the tablespoons until you have reached a nice consistency. You may need more or less juice to get the frosting to be creamier.
- Frost the tops of your cupcakes and garnish with a maraschino cherry. Enjoy!
- You can use regular coke if desired and simply add in a little bit of cherry extract to the cupcakes and frosting as needed.
- Any type of chocolate boxed cake mix will work fine, but Devil’s food cake is nice because it’s a bit richer in taste, which pairs well with the coca cola flavor.
How long are cherry coke cupcakes good for?
These cupcakes will last for about 3 or 4 days if kept stored in an airtight container in the fridge. I recommend eating them within 2 or 3 days for the best tasting results. If you do not have an airtight container to accommodate the frosted cupcakes, simply placing them on a plate and loosely securing some plastic wrap on top to help keep them from drying out should be sufficient.
Can I freeze cherry coke cupcakes?
These cupcakes can be frozen for up to 3 months but they will do best if frozen without the frosting for easier storage. That said, if you choose to freeze with the frosting intact, place the cupcakes on a large baking sheet and freeze solid for about 2-4 hours before transferring to an airtight container with parchment paper between the layers. Then when you’re ready to thaw and eat, place the container in the fridge overnight or remove a few cupcakes and place them on the counter to come to room temp.
And if you cherry and chocolate together then you’ll love these Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Cherry Filling and Black Bottom Cherry Cream Pie! This Chocolate Chip Cherry Delight and my Chocolate Dipped Cherry Meringue Cookie Recipeare also a delicious blend of this classic flavor combination.
Cherry Coke Cupcakes
Cherry Coke meets cupcakes!
- 1 box Devils Food Cake (18.25 oz)
- 1 box instant chocolate pudding (5.9oz)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup Cherry Coke
- 4 Tablespoon Maraschino Cherry Juice
For the glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Cherry Coke
- 2 teaspoon cocoa powder
For the frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare cupcakes pans, set aside. For the cupcakes, combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, and oil in your stand mixer. Mix until combines. Add in eggs, coke and cherry juice. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated. Using a large cookie scoop, fill your cupcake liners about 2/3 full. Youâ??ll have enough batter for 24 cupcakes. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cupcakes stand in the pan for about 5 minutes before removing to a cooking rack.
For the glaze:
- Combine sugar and coke in a bowl. Whisk in cocoa powder until glaze is smooth. You may have to add more coke if the consistency is too thick. Spread over the tops of cooled cupcakes. Let glaze set before frosting.
For the frosting:
- Beat butter and shortening until very creamy. Slowly add in powdered sugar one cup at a time. Add cherry juice by tablespoons until you have a good spreading or piping consistency. You may need to add more cherry juice or milk to make frosting creamier.
Serving Size1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving Calories 339Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 52mgSodium 86mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 0gSugar 35gProtein 2g
I am totally with you on long hot showers! They are a must every morning. I seriously could fall asleep in there! Your cupcakes are gorgeous too. Love that photo.
Thanks Desi! I draw pictures through the steam on the stall!!!
Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel says
Oh my goodness. Not only are these totally gorgeous, but they look DELICIOUS. Cherry cokes–nothing evokes childhood memories more for me! Love them still to this day. And who would have thought cherry coke + chocolate was such a brilliant combo? Love these, girl! Your daughter musta been a happy birthday girl 🙂
Thanks Hayley! I think my daughter was happy. I was happier because I got to lock the bowl!
Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies says
I’m SO with you! A long, indulgent, hot shower is NOT optional. It’s a necessity in my life! And definitely better than a therapist!
I knew I wasn’t the only guilty one! Thanks for stopping by Jen!
There are breath-taking
and looking at the recipe – I can imagine how delicious the taste is
Thanks Winnie!!!! Im so happy we have extras!
Sarah C. says
Wow. They do sound like nirvana
Oh! My favorite! I’m drinking one right now actually- but I would much prefer a cupcake version! Thanks for posting!
Perfect timing with you drinking a cherry coke while reading this! Thanks for stopping by Amberly!
These cupcakes sound so tasty, and I love your photo, makes me want to reach out and grab one!
Thanks Anita! They were pretty tasty!
These cupcakes with that trail of chocolate glaze streaming from under the frosting look so very tempting, Tanya, just like a birthday cupcake should. And what girl wouldn’t love that pink frosting?
I was very pleased with that chocolate trail!
Kathryn Griffin says
OMGosh! Cherry Coke Cupcakes!! I better pull out my P90X. I don’t know if I should really thank you for sharing this…but, I will. lol. Visiting from DIY Dreamer. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. https://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-16.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse
LOL!!! Yeah, these cupcakes sort of make you want to work out a little harder!
45 minutes, I love it!!! I could easily do that too! Thanks for stopping over Irish!
Wow- now those look great! I’d love to have you link up this (and a couple more if you’d like) recipe to Wonderful Food Wednesday. We’re going to have voting on the entries this week and the top few will be featured next week. Love if you’d join us at: https://www.athometake2.com
Jessica @ At Home Take 2
Thank you, I’d love to link up!
Kelly @ Semi Homemade Mom says
WOW, these look good! I seriously went broke buying Cherry Coke from the vending machine at my dorm when I was in college! Thanks so much for linking up to Show & Share Wednesday, I shared this on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SemiHomemadeMom
Thanks Kelly for the FB love!
Lisa/Fresh Eggs Daily Farm Girl says
These look amazing ! Could I persuade you to link up to my party! https://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/09/farm-girl-friday-blog-fest-1.html
Thanks for the invite! Will come link up!
More Sister Stuff says
Thanks for sharing!! Those look delicious!! https://moresisterstuff.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the party!
Totally laughing & I will take one of those cupcakes every day of the week!
I am totally with you- I have always said that my best ideas come to me when I’m in the shower!! I love these cupcakes, and that pink color is amazing!
Thanks Deborah! I love my showers!
Yum. I made a similar recipe for my daughter’s bday!! The cherry coke really does add some great moisture. I’m with you as far as the shower goes. I love a long hot shower… and locking the door. 🙂 Thanks for sharing at Foodtastic Friday!
I’m hooked on these cupcakes!! Funny our girls requested the same thing! Thanks Becky!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust says
I swear, a hot bath is the best therapy in the world! Along with these cupcakes, of course. Gorgeous!
Back For Seconds says
holy yum! these look fantastic! i just love everything you make 😉 featuring you tomorrow at the Back For Seconds Social!
Oh thank you!!!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life says
Haha! I lock myself in the bathroom too for some peace and quiet!!! All the quiet is great for coming up with good ideas! These cupcakes are beautiful! And I bet they taste awesome too:-)
It’s a shame we have to hide in the bathroom isn’t it? Thanks Jocelyn!
I am featuring these tomorrow! They sound so yummy, Love cherry coke!
That’s so cool, thanks Kim!
chica chocolatina says
These are insane!, they look so good, I will definitely be giving these a try!
The frosting was the best!
I am totally making these for my friend’s baby shower on Saturday. Love cherry coke!
Oh yeah! I hope your friend likes them!
Yummers! These look delish! I am loving that little cherry on top! It’s all about the details, lol!
My boys would love these – cherry coke is their favorite!
Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom says
love the flavor combo here!!!
I made these for my cherry coke loving hubby’s birthday! They were so yummy – they disappeared fast! The box of cake mix was closer to 15 oz rather than 18 (and the box of pudding was smaller too), so I reduced the other ingredients to 3/4 of what is in the recipe. It worked just fine. The frosting was especially yummy!
Tanya Schroeder says
Oh yay! I’m so glad you liked them! My daughter requests these for her birthday every year.