Soft and moist chocolate cupcakes made with real Cherry Coke are the base for these decadent Cherry Coke Cupcakes!
The buttercream is cherry flavored, it is pink and deliciously creamy!
These Cherry Coke cupcakes start with soda infused chocolate cake that gets topped with an ultra creamy cherry buttercream! Each bite is pure delight! These cupcakes look like a fun and retro throwback to the 50’s. Just picture them with sockhops and poodle skirts, perfect for any themed party.
What are Cherry Coke Cupcakes?
These Cherry Coke cupcakes have Cherry Coke in the cake themselves, which by magic, makes them super moist. There is a chocolate glaze made with Cherry Coke that sits daintily between the frosting and the cake! The frosting gets its hue and an extra dose of sweetness from maraschino cherry juice. Over the top and ultra-delicious!!!!
- Devils food cake mix
- Instant chocolate pudding mix
- Sour cream
- Vegetable oil
- Cherry coke soda
- Maraschino cherry juice
- Cocoa powder
- Softened butter
- Powdered sugar
For the exact amounts needed, you will need to see the recipe card below.
How to Make Cherry Coke Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line your muffin pans with paper liners and then set them aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, and oil. Mix until combined.
- Add in eggs, coke, and cherry juice, stir until incorporated.
- Use a large cookie scoop to fill your muffin liners about 2/3 of the way full. There should be enough batter for 24 cupcakes.
- bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Let the cupcakes stand in the pan for 5 minutes before removing them and placing them on a wire rack to cool completely.
For the glaze:
- Make the glaze by combining the coke and the sugar in a bowl until well mixed.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. if needed, add in more cola soda to get the consistency to not be too thick.
- Spread the glaze over the top of the cupcakes and let set before frosting.
For the frosting:
- Make the frosting by beating together the butter and shortening in a bowl until creamy.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time until fully added.
- Add in your cherry juice by the tablespoons until you have reached a nice consistency. You may need more or less juice to get the frosting to be creamier.
- Frost the tops of your cupcakes and garnish with a maraschino cherry. Enjoy!
- You can use regular coke if desired and simply add in a little bit of cherry extract to the cupcakes and frosting as needed.
- Any type of chocolate boxed cake mix will work fine, but Devil’s food cake is nice because it’s a bit richer in taste, which pairs well with the coca cola flavor.
How long are cherry coke cupcakes good for?
These cupcakes will last for about 3 or 4 days if kept stored in an airtight container in the fridge. I recommend eating them within 2 or 3 days for the best tasting results. If you do not have an airtight container to accommodate the frosted cupcakes, simply placing them on a plate and loosely securing some plastic wrap on top to help keep them from drying out should be sufficient.
Can I freeze cherry coke cupcakes?
These cupcakes can be frozen for up to 3 months but they will do best if frozen without the frosting for easier storage. That said, if you choose to freeze with the frosting intact, place the cupcakes on a large baking sheet and freeze solid for about 2-4 hours before transferring to an airtight container with parchment paper between the layers. Then when you’re ready to thaw and eat, place the container in the fridge overnight or remove a few cupcakes and place them on the counter to come to room temp.
And if you cherry and chocolate together then you’ll love these Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Cherry Filling and Black Bottom Cherry Cream Pie! This Chocolate Chip Cherry Delight and my Chocolate Dipped Cherry Meringue Cookie Recipeare also a delicious blend of this classic flavor combination.
- 1 box Devils Food Cake (18.25 oz)
- 1 box instant chocolate pudding (5.9oz)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup Cherry Coke
- 4 Tablespoon Maraschino Cherry Juice
For the glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Cherry Coke
- 2 teaspoon cocoa powder
For the frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare cupcakes pans, set aside. For the cupcakes, combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, and oil in your stand mixer. Mix until combines. Add in eggs, coke and cherry juice. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated. Using a large cookie scoop, fill your cupcake liners about 2/3 full. Youâ??ll have enough batter for 24 cupcakes. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cupcakes stand in the pan for about 5 minutes before removing to a cooking rack.
For the glaze:
- Combine sugar and coke in a bowl. Whisk in cocoa powder until glaze is smooth. You may have to add more coke if the consistency is too thick. Spread over the tops of cooled cupcakes. Let glaze set before frosting.
For the frosting:
- Beat butter and shortening until very creamy. Slowly add in powdered sugar one cup at a time. Add cherry juice by tablespoons until you have a good spreading or piping consistency. You may need to add more cherry juice or milk to make frosting creamier.
Serving Size1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving Calories 339Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 52mgSodium 86mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 0gSugar 35gProtein 2g