These baked arancini balls are spectacular for entertaining!
Leftover risotto is wrapped around cheese, rolled in bread crumbs and baked until golden brown.
What Are Arancini Balls?
Arancini balls or risotto balls (which translates to little oranges) are little balls of risotto that are stuffed with cheese. Most often the cheese is mozzarella and the balls are usually deep-fried.
My risotto balls are baked instead of fried and use gruyere instead of mozzarella, but regardless of the cheese OR the method, this appetizer is going to be a hit!
How To Make Stuffed Risotto Balls
The flavors can be amended or altered easily to suit your tastes. Once the risotto is cool or cold, scoop up enough risotto for form a 1-inch ball.
Place a small square of gruyere cheese in the center of the ball ( you may have to mold the risotto carefully around the cheese). Each ball will get a dip in all-purpose flour, a beaten egg, and then into a shallow bowl filled with breadcrumbs.
The balls are placed on a baking sheet; they will take about 25 minutes to bake up golden brown.
Tips On Making Arancini Balls
- Feel free to substitute mozzarella for gruyere; gruyere has a distinct taste that may not please everyone plus it can be a little pricier. I personally love it and I wanted the flavor of the cheese to stand out.
- I made these balls roughly the size of golf balls, any larger and you will have to adjust the bake time.
- Be sure to pinch the rice around the cheese as MUCH as possible or else the cheese will ooze out while baking.
- The coating is a mixture of breadcrumbs and panko breadcrumbs. I like to combine these two; I love the fine coating that traditional breadcrumbs give but I also love the crunch that you get from panko.
- I like to serve these with marinara sauce, but an aioli or a pesto sauce would be lovely as well!
How To Freeze Arancini Balls
The best method for freezing this appetizer is to prepare the recipe as directed but do not bake the balls. Instead, place the balls on the cookie sheet then place the cookie sheet in the freezer.
When the balls are frozen, move them to a ziptop bag. Arancini balls can be frozen for 1-2 months.
When needed, move the arancini balls to the fridge to thaw completely. Then place them back on a baking sheet and bake as directed.
How To Reheat Arancini Balls
If you find yourself with leftover arancini, the best way to reheat them is to pop them in the oven. Simply preheat your oven to 350, place your balls on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
Can Arancini Balls Be Made In Advance
Yes, the can! Prepare the recipe as directed, but again, do not bake them. Keep them on the baking sheet in the fridge until you need them.
Allow the baking sheet to come to room temperature as you preheat the oven. When the oven is ready, baking the arancini as directed. Serve immediately.
More Finger Food Favorites:
- 2 cups cooked risotto
- 8 small cubes gruyere
- ½ cup flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup panko
- 2 tablespoons shredded asiago
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl, beaten eggs in a separate shallow bowl, and bread crumbs and a third shallow bowl.
- Scoop risotto and roll rice into a 1-inch sized balls. Insert a cheese cube inside the ball, making sure to completely cover the cheese.
- Roll risotto balls in flour, then dip into the eggs, shaking off any excess. Roll balls in the bread crumb mixture then place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining balls.
- Bake risotto balls for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with marinara sauce.
These balls can be frozen before baked. Roll balls per recipe instructions, but do not bake. Instead place the ball in layers separated by wax paper an airtight container. Freeze the risotto balls for up to one month. Balls can be baked from frozen, increase the bake time by 5-10 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1 ball
Amount Per Serving Calories 636 Total Fat 41g Saturated Fat 23g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 15g Cholesterol 198mg Sodium 1227mg Carbohydrates 25g Fiber 1g Sugar 2g Protein 40g