Eggnog sugar cookies are cake-like sugar cookies, iced with spiced eggnog buttercream!
Made from scratch and made delicious, you’re going to love this simple holiday cookie recipe!
These are the BEST eggnog sugar cookies because they’re not overly sweet and the soft pillowy cookies are the perfect vehicle for transporting the nutmeg flavored buttercream into your mouth. You’re going to love these simple frosted eggnog cookies! They’re the perfect holiday cookie recipe and a seasonal treat that you’ll look forward to year-round unless you make this Homemade Eggnog Recipe so you can enjoy the cookies all year long. That sounds like a good idea, right?
Sugar cookies with eggnog buttercream frosting
These eggnog sugar cookies are really just a simple and easy sugar cookie topped with eggnog buttercream. There are no eggnog flavors or spices in the cookies so you know it won’t be overpowering in flavor. In fact, it’s the right balance and one that’s perfect as-is. You’re going to love this eggnog cookies recipe until the very last crumb!
For the sugar cookies, you will need:
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
For the eggnog buttercream, you will need:
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Refrigerated eggnog
How to Make Frosted Sugar Cookies
- Combine the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs and the vanilla.
- Slowly add in the flour, baking powder, and salt. your batter will be very thick.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place into the fridge for at least an hour, but you can go up to overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and sprinkle a work surface with flour.
- Work with one portion of the dough at a time, rolling out the sugar cookie dough to be 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into shapes with cookie cutters.
- Place the cookies onto an ungreased baking sheet and bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes or until the bottoms begin to brown.
- Remove the cookies and place them on cooling racks to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare the frosting
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and shortening.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
- Blend in the salt and vanilla.
- Add in the eggnog and continue to beat until the frosting is a spreadable consistency. if needed, add in more eggnog, a little at a time.
- Frost your cookies and enjoy!
- You can keep any leftover buttercream stored in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- You can also choose to freeze it in an airtight container or Ziploc bag for up to 3 months. To use it simply place the container on the counter for a few hours for the frosting to thaw and come to room temp or let it thaw slowly (like overnight) in the fridge. Then use as desired.
- These cookies should be kept stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days. If left unfrosted, the cookies can last up to a week stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
- I recommend keeping cookies in layers in your container with cut wax paper pieces between the cookies to prevent the frosting from causing them to stick together in one big cookie clump.
Can I freeze frosted sugar cookies?
Yes, you can freeze these cookies for up to three months. I recommend frosting them as per usual and then laying the cookies right side up and side by side on a large baking sheet. Place the baking sheet into the freezer for one or more hours, until the frosting is solid. Then stack the cookies in layers separated by wax paper sheets. When you’re ready to eat a cookie, place it on the counter for a few minutes to thaw and you’re good to go!
Can’t find eggnog?
If you can’t find eggnog and want to make this recipe, you can swap out the eggnog for regular milk or even flavored coffee creamer. Either option will be delicious!
If you love eggnog then you’re going to love these eggnog recipes!
- Coquito Recipe (Coconut Eggnog)
- Eggnog Pudding Shots
- Eggnog Haystack Cookie Recipe
- Eggnog Ice Cream Float
- Eggnog Dutch Baby Pancake
- Eggnog Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup refrigerated eggnog
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar. Beat until fluffy. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Slowly mix in flour, baking powder and salt. Batter will be very thick. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour, or overnight.
- Pre heat oven to 400. Sprinkle your work surface with flour and working with one portion of the dough at time, roll out sugar cookie dough to 1/2 inch thick. Cut with shaped cookies. Place cookies on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until bottoms just begin brown. Remove to cooling racks to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: cream together butter and shortening. Slowly beat in powdered sugar one cup at a time. Blend in salt and vanilla. Add eggnog and continue to beat buttercream until it is spreading consistency, adding more eggnog if necessary.
Serving Size1 cookie
Amount Per Serving Calories 158Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 25mgSodium 90mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 0gSugar 16gProtein 1g