This whiskey smash is warming and delicious. The flavors may be seen as festive, with the bold cranberry taste, but in truth, this cocktail can be enjoyed at any time of the year!
I sometimes want to be one of those people who can sip on a glass of bourbon whiskey. Those big ice cubes always make the whiskey looks glossy and golden. It all seems so sophisticated.
But I’m not one of those people. If I am going to drink bourbon then I need to add something to it, preferably something sweet. Which is why I like this Blackberry Bourbon Fizz cocktail, this Ginger Maple Bourbon Cocktail, Bourbon Daisy or a good old fashioned whiskey sour cocktail. These make it so much easier for me to enjoy bourbon.
This Cranberry Whiskey Smash Recipe is a really lovely cocktail for the holidays. It has festive flavors, is easy and tastes so smooth.
What Is A Whiskey Smash?
A smash cocktail is an old cocktail this is made up of whiskey, sugar, and mint in the simplest terms. You can have many variations on this of course, but that is the essence of this particular cocktail.
How To Make A Whiskey Smash
This particular recipe will make two servings, so know you can adjust according to your needs.
This recipe starts by adding fresh mint leaves to a cocktail shaker along with granulated sugar. Muddle the mixture with the handle of a wooden spoon. This will release the juices from the fresh mint (and boy will it smell good).
To this mixture, add crushed ice, bourbon whiskey, and cranberry juice. Shake vigorously and pour into two rocks glasses filled with ice. Top each cocktail with club soda and a squeeze of fresh lime wedges. Garnish this cocktail with fresh cranberries and a sprig of mint!
Tips On Making A Whiskey Smash
- Simple syrup can be used in place of the sugar in this recipe. You can read about simple syrup in this Strawberry Grapefruit Vodka Cocktail.
- Lemon-Lime Soda can be used in place of flavorless club soda
- Freeze your cranberries and use them in place of ice cubes
- Swap out any seasonal fresh fruit or fruit juice
What You Need To Make This Whiskey Smash
Muddler (or a wooden spoon)
How To Drink A Whiskey Smash
I like to drink my whiskey smash in rock or whiskey glasses filled with ice although copper mugs would work as well.
What Whiskey To Use For A Whiskey Smash
I will say whatever you have at home! I used Bulleit Bourbon Whiskey, but you can really make this cocktail with whatever is your favorite.
- Bunch of mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 oz bourbon
- 2 oz cranberry juice
- 2 limes
- fresh cranberries
- Place the mint leaves and the sugar in a cocktail shaker and muddle with the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Add crushed ice, bourbon whiskey and juice. Shake until combined.
- Pour into two whiskey glasses filled with ice.
- Top with club soda and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Garnish with fresh cranberries.