My favorite thing to make when the weather starts to turn is chili! Nothing says home cooking to me more than a big bowl of chili!
My mom likes to tell me that when she was pregnant with me all she craved was chili. This must be why this is one of my go to meals. I love it plain, I love it Cincinnati style with beans and spaghetti, I love it full of meat and spice and I love it sweet and full of veggies! Just gimme the chili! Actually gimme this pumpkin and black bean chili!
I made this pumpkin and black bean chili because that’s what you do in the fall right? You make everything and anything with pumpkin!!! My family is big on eating black beans. And I like that this is made with ground turkey, makes it seems über healthy! You could replace the turkey with whatever meat (or not) you choose! The pumpkin melts into the chili as it cooks. It isn’t pronounced, I mean you wouldn’t know pumpkin was in there, but it’s a subtle flavor and adds a touch of color.
My family devours this chili! I like to make a big batch before we go trick or treating. It just warms us up, and makes our bellies happy. Makes me feel better about all the candy we’ll eat for dessert!
Want some Lulu in your life each day? Please subscribe via email, Facebook or Pinterest! I love keeping in touch with friends!
You might enjoy this too:
Pasta Jambalaya Lemons for lulu
Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili Good Life Eats
Pumpkin Tortilla Soup The Kitchn
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 can solid packed pumpkin (15 oz)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (14½ oz)
- 2 t chili powder
- 1½ t oregano
- 1½ t cumin
- In a large skillet, saute onion and yellow pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. Transfer meat and veggies into the bowl of slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients stirring to incorporate pumpkin. Cover and cook on low for about 4-5 hours.
I’m linking this recipe up to these fabulous parties as well as to: