Rigatoni and meatballs are nestled in a flavorful vodka cream sauce! This homestyle meal has old-world charm but is made with modern flair!
What Is Vodka Cream Sauce
Vodka cream sauce is a tomato based pasta sauce that has herbs, vodka, and cream. It is best when served over a ridged or curvy pasta that can trap and hold the sauce. This recipe is easy and is largely made with pantry staples. If you are tired of the same old spaghetti sauce, then this vodka cream sauce is a must try!
WHERE IS THE VODKA CREAM SAUCE RECIPE?
If you’d rather skip cooking tips, suggestions, handy substitutions, related recipe ideas – and get straight to the Rigatoni and Meatball in Vodka Cream Sauce Recipe– simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
How To Make Vodka Cream Sauce
I start this recipe with onions and garlic sauteeing in olive oil (nothing is more fragrant than garlic in olive oil, am I right?). Once the vegetables have softened, I add a little vodka and allow that to reduce to about half (this will cook out the alcohol and leave only the flavor). Once the vodka has reduced I stir in beef broth. Chicken or vegetable broth is fine, I liked the richness that the beef broth lent the recipe. I also added crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes to my broth.
For the meatballs, I used premade meatballs, but if you want to try your hand at making your own, you can easily use the meatballs from this Easy Vegetable Soup Recipe and this Fillo Wrapped Chicken Parmesan recipe. Just swap out the beef and the chicken for Italian sausage if you prefer. As I said, I used store-bought Italian sausage meatballs that are simply simmered in the sauce until done.
Heavy cream is stirred into the sauce just before serving! This meal couldn’t be simpler and your family is going to love the flavor!
- 1 lb rigatoni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup vodka
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 14 oz diced tomatoes, fire roasted
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 lb Italian meatballs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- In a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add the vodka to the pan and cook until reduced by half (about 5 minutes). Stir in the beef broth, diced tomatoes and crushed tomatoes.
- Bring tomato mixture to a simmer and add the meatballs. Cook 15-20 minutes or until meatballs are done.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions while meatballs cook.
- When meatballs are ready, stir in heavy cream until combined. Toss the pasta with the sauce and garnish with parsley
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 789 Total Fat 41g Saturated Fat 16g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 21g Cholesterol 108mg Sodium 1890mg Carbohydrates 65g Fiber 11g Sugar 17g Protein 28g