These easy air fryer chicken strips are perfect for busy families who want something quick and tasty. If you are tired of eating boring plain chicken, this recipe will make your dinner a lot more exciting.
All about Cooking Chicken Strips in the Air Fryer
Cooking chicken strips in the air fryer is a great way to make a healthy main dish that’s ready in minutes. There’s no need for breading or frying – season the chicken and let the air fryer do its magic.
The hot air circulating around the food seals in moisture while creating a crispy coating. And you don’t have to wait long for your chicken strips to cook. They are ready in less than 15 minutes. The air fryer cooks the chicken strips quickly and evenly without adding fat. It’s healthier than deep frying and can be prepared in a few simple steps.
Ingredients You’ll Need for this Recipe
- Chicken tenderloins or chicken breasts cut into strips
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice
How to Make Easy Air Fryer Chicken Strips
- Cut the chicken into strips if you are not starting with chicken tenderloins.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the chicken strips with the olive oil, salt, garlic powder, dried oregano, and fresh squeezed lemon juice. Make sure each chicken strip is coated.
- Let the seasoned chicken strips marinate for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Spray or brush the air fryer basket with oil.
- Place the chicken strips in the air fryer basket without crowding the chicken pieces.
- Cook the chicken strips in the air fryer at 375 degrees F for 12 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Flip the chicken strips halfway through the cooking time.
- Serve the chicken strips hot with the dipping sauce of your choice.
How to Serve Easy Air Fryer Chicken Strips
Serve these air fryer chicken strips with a dipping sauce for an appetizer or as part of a meal. You can serve them over salad for a light dinner, in tacos, or on a burger bun as a chicken strip sandwich.
For a side dish to accompany the chicken strips, try roasted broccoli and/or roasted potatoes. Both are easy to prepare and cook fast in the air fryer. Or throw some frozen french fries in the air fryer for a traditional American meal.
Tips and Variations for this Recipe
To make the best-tasting chicken strips, follow these tips and variation ideas:
- Allow plenty of space between the chicken strips in the air fryer so they cook on all sides. You need space for the hot air to move around each piece of chicken.
- Don’t forget to preheat the air fryer. Not preheating will prevent them from becoming crispy.
- Cook the chicken to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F for food safety. Use a food thermometer to check.
- For a delicious crunch, coat the chicken strips in your favorite breading. Mix together flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish and dredge the chicken strips before placing them into the air fryer.
- Get creative with the seasonings. Try different herbs and spices for an array of flavors. For example, add smoked paprika or cajun seasoning to give your chicken strips some kick.
- For a vegetarian option, try air fryer cauliflower bites. Follow the same instructions for seasoning and cooking the cauliflower in the air fryer.
How to Store Leftovers
You can store cooked air fryer chicken strips in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the chicken strips back into the air fryer and cook for a few minutes until heated through.
How to Freeze the Chicken Strips
You can also freeze cooked chicken strips. Place them in a freezer-safe container or bag and store for up to 3 months. To thaw the frozen chicken strips, place them in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat in the air fryer.
You can also freeze uncooked chicken tenders before cooking. Place the marinated tenders on a sheet pan and freeze for about an hour. Once the chicken is frozen, transfer it to a freezer-safe container or bag.
Other Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Milanese
- Popcorn Chicken in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich
- Air Fryer Chicken Meatballs
- 2 lbs chicken cut in strips (you can also use chicken tenders)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- Marinade the Chicken. First, Season chicken strips in a medium-sized bowl with olive oil, salt, garlic powder, oregano, and lemon juice. Next, let the seasoned chicken strips rest for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the Air Fryer. Add the chicken strips into the air fryer basket, being sure not to overcrowd the pieces. Be sure to oil and preheat the air fryer before use.
- Air Fry the Chicken. Finally, cook the chicken strips in the air fryer for 12 minutes at 374F. When the chicken has an internal temperature of 160F, serve hot with the dipping sauce of your choice.
Adding a marinade or dry rub to your chicken strips can give your chicken strips a lot more flavor than frying them plain. Be sure to use salt and pepper, too.
Panko, breadcrumbs, crushed potato chips, and even crushed cornflakes can be used as breading for air-fried chicken strips.