This air fryer chicken Milanese recipe is simple to follow and will result in a crispy, juicy chicken dish that the whole family will love. Air fryers are becoming more and more popular and for good reason. They make it easy to cook up healthy meals without all of the added fat.
So if you’re looking for a way to enjoy your favorite Italian dish without feeling guilty, give this air fryer chicken Milanese recipe a try. You will love how crispy the chicken turns out. Don’t miss out on this fantastic meal.
What Is Chicken Milanese?
Chicken Milanese is a classic Italian dish made by breading and frying thin slices of pounded chicken cutlets. Some variations include topping the chicken with tomato sauce or mozzarella cheese before serving. It’s a simple yet flavorful dish that can be enjoyed as an entree or as an addition to a larger Italian meal.
What Is the History of Chicken Milanese?
Chicken Milanese, also known as cotoletta alla milanese, is a dish believed to have originated in Milan, Italy, during the Middle Ages. It consists of breaded and fried chicken cutlets often served with lemon and salad or vegetables on the side.
The dish gained popularity throughout Europe during the 19th century with variations appearing in France (known as escalope de poulet à la milanaise) and Austria (served as wiener schnitzel). Today, it remains a popular dish in Italian cuisine. In American cuisine, chicken Milanese is often served as an entree topped with arugula and sliced tomatoes.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Air Fryer Chicken Milanese
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin slices
- White flour
- Garlic powder
- Dried parsley
- Olive oil spray
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Milanese
- Crack the 2 eggs in a bowl, add a pinch of salt, and whisk them until they are well combined.
- Combine the white flour, remaining salt, garlic powder, and dried parsley in a second bowl.
- In a third bowl, add the breadcrumbs. You can season the breadcrumbs with garlic powder and dried parsley if desired.
- Dredge each chicken cutlet in the flour, then egg wash, then breadcrumbs. Make sure to coat each cutlet all over. Set each cutlet aside on a plate.
- Once each of the cutlets have been coated, spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Add a layer of breaded chicken cutlets, making sure to not overcrowd the basket.
- Spray the breaded cutlets with olive oil spray.
- Cook at 392 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 10 minutes. Flip the cutlets once after about 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Serve with arugula salad and some lemon wedges.
Tips for the Best Air Fryer Chicken Milanese
This recipe for chicken Milanese is simple, but here are a few tips to help you get the best results:
- If your chicken breasts are not sliced thin enough, you might need to pound them a bit to make them thinner. Place each cutlet in a Ziploc bag and pound it all over until it spreads.
- Use panko breadcrumbs for the breading coat instead of regular breadcrumbs for a crispier texture.
- For added flavor, substitute Italian breadcrumbs for plain breadcrumbs.
- Add some garlic powder and grated Parmesan cheese to the flour mix to turn the chicken Milanese into chicken Parmesan for another classic Italian dish.
Air Fryer Chicken Milanese FAQs
Can I use frozen chicken for this recipe?
I don’t recommend using frozen chicken for this recipe because it may not cook evenly in the air fryer. It’s best to thaw the chicken completely before breading and cooking in the air fryer.
Can I substitute pork or beef for the chicken in this recipe?
Yes, you can substitute pork or beef for the chicken in this recipe. Make sure you use thin slices.
How do I store and reheat leftovers?
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. When you are ready to eat them, reheat them in the air fryer for a few minutes to make them crispy again.
Other Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich
- Air Fryer Beyond Burger
- Air Fryer Chicken Meatballs
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
This air fryer chicken Milanese dish is an Italian classic, now made in the air fryer for maximum convenience. It’s a healthier take on the traditional fried version, and it’s easy to customize with your favorite seasonings. Serve it with a side salad or vegetables for a complete meal. Give it a try for your next family dinner or as part of a larger Italian-inspired spread. Bon appétit.
- 1 pound chicken breast sliced thinly
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 eggs
- Olive oil spray
- If your chicken breast is not sliced very thinly you might need to pound it a bit to achieve thinner slices, for this use a Ziplock bag, place it inside the chicken cutlet, and pound it evenly until it spreads.
- In one bowl crack the 2 eggs, add a pinch of salt and whisk them until well combined.
- In the second bowl add the white flour and add the rest of the salt, garlic powder, and dried parsley.
- In the third bowl add the breadcrumbs, mine are already dressed with garlic and parsley (homemade mix), if yours are not, feel free to add some of the garlic powder and dried parsley to them.
- Pass each chicken cutlet into the flour, then egg wash, then breadcrumbs. Make sure to coat each cutlet evenly. Set aside on the plate.
- Once you have all of the cutlets ready, spray the basket of your air fryer with some olive oil spray to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Add a layer of the breaded chicken cutlets making sure to not overcrowd the basket.
- Spray evenly the breaded cutlets with olive oil spray.
- Cook on 392F/200C for 10 minutes making sure to turn them around the 5-minute mark.
- Serve alongside some arugula salad and some lemon wedges.
These delicious chicken parmesan cutlets are a classic Italian dish. It can be made by adding some crushed garlic to the flour mix, and some grated parmesan too.
Feel free to use panko breadcrumbs for the breading coat instead of regular breadcrumbs for a crispier texture.
These can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days in an air-tight container. Whenever you want to eat them just reheat them in the air fryer for a couple of minutes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 474Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 126mgSodium 2463mgCarbohydrates 60gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 35g