From the spicy sriracha mayo to the crispy tender chicken between two toasted buns, this air fryer chicken sandwich has got it all. Made for a lighter meal that is packed full of flavor, this will be the crispiest and juiciest chicken sandwich you’ve ever had.
You’re going to love this fried chicken sandwich. It’s super easy to make and tastes better than anything you can get from the drive-thru. Made with just a few simple ingredients it comes together very fast and with menial effort.
Why This Recipe Works
- It’s healthy. A fried chicken sandwich on its own isn’t very healthy but this air fried chicken sandwich is. We marinate the chicken in Greek yogurt and cook it in the air fryer for reduced fats and grease, keeping our meal lighter and full of healthier options.
- The chicken is juicy. Instead of using chicken breasts which are known for drying out and creating uneven results, we are using chicken thighs. Chicken thighs can be much more forgiving when cooking and result in a much more tender result.
- You can prepare it in advance. You can marinate your chicken for up to 8 hours overnight so this is a great meal idea for prepping at night before bed if you plan to eat it at lunch the following day or you can prepare it in the morning and have a simpler dinner menu. It’s great for either meal and is always a huge hit.
Ingredients you’ll need for Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich:
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Italian herbs
- Chili flakes
For the dressing, you will need:
- Sriracha sauce
Serving suggestions include
- Burger buns
- Sriracha mayonnaise
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
- Air fryer
- 2 medium-sized bowls
- Kitchen tongs
- Cutting board
- 1 small bowl
How to Make Fried Chicken Sandwich
Prepare your batter in two separate bowls.
In one bowl, place the flour and set it aside.
In the other bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, garlic, onion powder, salt, Italian herbs, and egg until well mixed.
Add your chicken thighs to the herbed Greek yogurt mixture and then let them marinate for at least one hour. You can marinate for up to overnight if desired.
Once marinated, remove the chicken from the marinade and place it into the flour, dusting off any excess flour but making sure that it is well coated everywhere.
Spray the inside basket of your air fryer with olive oil and then place the coated chicken inside.
Spray with olive oil on both sides of the chicken.
Cook for 20 minutes at 392 degrees F and make sure to turn them over at the halfway mark.
Once cooked, take the chicken out of the air fryer and place them inside burger buns that had been toasted at 392 degrees F for 2 minutes.
While the bread is toasting, prepare the sriracha mayo by mixing together the may and sriracha in a small bowl.
Cut your pickles lengthwise.
Serve your fried chicken sandwich with sriracha mayo and sliced pickles.
You can serve this chicken sandwich with some homemade fried potato wedges, or air-fried frozen fries.
You can also add some lettuce, cheese, and onions too.
This fried chicken is best made with chicken thighs to ensure flavor, but feel free to make it with chicken breast if you prefer it.
How long are fried chicken sandwiches good for?
It’s best consumed right after being made, so the crispiness remains intact, however, if needed you can have the leftovers (if any, I bet there will be none) in the fridge in an airtight container. Pop the leftovers in the air fryer whenever you want to eat them to heat them and make them a bit crispy again, for this cook it for 5 minutes at 392F
Can I put raw chicken in an air fryer?
Yes, it is safe to place raw chicken inside of your air fryer. You just need to note that the air fryer should be greased to help prevent the chicken from sticking. The chicken will cook fast and even in your air fryer and be similar to if you were to grill or cook it in the oven.
Can I use Pam in an air fryer?
No, you should never try to use pam spray inside of your air fryer as it can void the warranty and cause it to break down faster. The best choice is to either spray or brush olive oil over the basket to get it well greased before use.
Here are some more great air fryer recipes you will love:
- Air Fryer Fish Sticks
- Air Fryer Cookies
- Homemade Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Keto Zucchini Fries
- Chicken Meatballs
- 1 skinless and boneless chicken thigh per person.
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt.
- 1 egg
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
For the dressing:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- Burger buns
- Sriracha mayonnaise
- In two separate bowls prepare the batter:
- 1 bowl with the white flour and set aside.
- 1 bowl with the Greek yogurt, garlic, onion powder, salt, Italian herbs, and the egg and mix well until a uniform cream is achieved.
- Submerge the chicken thighs into the herbed Greek yogurt and egg mixture and let marinate for at least 1 hour in advance, best if let marinate overnight.
- Once the chicken has marinated, remove it from the yogurt mix and pass it through the white flour. Lightly dust the excess flour making sure is evenly coated.
- Spray the basket of your air fryer with olive oil and put the coated chicken thighs inside. Spray with olive oil on both sides of each chicken thigh making sure they are evenly coated with oil.
- Cook for 20 minutes on 392F /200 C, making sure to turn halfway through to ensure an even cooking.
- Once cooked, take out of the air fryer, and put inside the burger buns to toast for 2 minutes at 392C/200
- While the bread is toasting prepare the sriracha mayo in a small bowl by combining the mayonnaise and the sriracha sauce and mixing well.
- Cut lengthwise the pickles.
- Serve with a spread of sriracha mayo and some pickle slices.