Mississippi Mud Cake might be an unusual name for a dessert but I promise it is nothing short of delicious! A rich chocolate cake is topped with marshmallow and dulce de Leche for a sweet and creamy topping! This cake is perfect party food!
I walked into my neighborhood Lowes store to look for a refrigerator when their fabulous, brightly lit Christmas display smacked me in the face. Christmas in July is a bit much, but Christmas in September is totally acceptable in my own opinion! I was downright excited!
That holiday display got me excited to try out new recipes! Who knows what the holidays will look like this year, but no matter what, we need to have dessert! This Mississippi Mud Cake variation is great at any time of the year, but it also makes a great ending for a special occasion meal!
What Is Mississippi Mud Cake?
A Mississippi Mud cake is a rich chocolate sheet cake that is baked in a sheet pan and baked with marshmallows on top of the puff up until golden. A decadent chocolate sauce is drizzled over the cake once it comes out of the oven!
This dulce de Leche version has that fabulous cake layer and a gooey marshmallow coating but instead of the traditional chocolate frosting, I swirled in caramel sauce! The topping is sweet, I won’t lie, but when combined with the chocolate cake, it is dreamy!
What Is Dulche De Leche?
Dulce De Leche is Spanish for “Milk Candy”. It is sweetened condensed milk that is slowly heated until it is thick and caramel in color. It is very different from any other caramel sauce that is available in the store.
How Do I Make This Mississippi Mud Cake?
STEP ONE – In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate until smooth and completely melted. Stir in sugar.
STEP TWO – Carefully mix in flour, cocoa, eggs, vanilla, and salt. Stir in pecans. Pour onto a greased 13 x 9 inch baking sheet.. Bake in a 325-degree oven for 20 minutes.
STEP THREE – Meanwhile, place the dulce de Leche in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until soft, about 1 minute.
STEP FOUR – Remove the cake from the oven and immediately dollop marshmallow fluff over the cake. Drop spoonfuls of the dulce de leche around the marshmallow fluff and swirl the two together.
STEP FIVE – Garnish with chopped pecans if desired.
Does This Cake Need To Be Refrigerated?
You can leave this cake at room temperature, however, they marshmallow fluff will become a little too sticky if left out for too long.
This dessert is best when consumed the same day it was made. Refrigerating the cake will extend its life by a day or so.
Can Mississippi Mud Cake Be Frozen?
You can freeze this cake, sort of…
If you want to prepare the dessert in advance, prepare the cake and bake it according to the recipe directions (perhaps underbaking by a few minutes). Allow the cake to cool completely. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and foil an freeze for up to 2 months,
Warm the cake slightly in the oven, just until is warn to the touch, remove and continue with the recipe as written.
Mississippi Mud Cake Tips
- This cake is not like ordinary chocolate cakes where it rises and is fluffy. It is on the denser side.
- Marshmallow fluff can be quite sticky, spray a silicone spatula with non-stick spray to make it easy to spoon out.
- Canned dulce de leche is very thick. It is important to microwave it to thin it out and make it easy to work with. Caramel sauce can be used in a pinch, but it will be thinner and runnier.
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- 6 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cups chopped pecans, divided
- 7 oz marshmallow fluff
- 1 can Dulce de Leche
- Spreheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9-inch pan with non-stick spray and set aside
- .In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate until smooth and completely melted. Stir in sugar.
- Carefully mix in flour, cocoa, eggs, vanilla, and salt. Stir in pecans. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the dulce de leche in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until soft, about 1 minute.
- Remove the cake from the oven and immediately dollop marshmallow fluff over the cake. Drop spoonfuls of the dulce de Leche around the marshmallow fluff and swirl the two together.
- Garnish with remaining chopped pecans if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 291Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 70mgSodium 62mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 1gSugar 28gProtein 4g