Peanuts and Coke? Yes, it is a thing and tastes especially delicious when it is served up as a cake!
A rich chocolate cake is a base for a super creamy peanut butter frosting. The combination is magical.
It’s ok if you aren’t ready to drink peanuts coke, but, please try this cake!
There have always been and there will always be weird food combinations. I had a friend who would dip peanut butter toast in his chili.
My husband places a slice of cheese on his peanut butter sandwich, I love peanut butter and jelly burgers and some people put peanuts in their Coca Cola!
What Exactly Is Peanuts and Coke?
This southern tradition involves taking a packet of SALTED peanuts and pouring a good amount of them into a bottle of Cocoa Cola.
It is said that this practice originated from farmers back in the ’20s. Farmers and workers, wanting to avoid eating peanuts from their dirty hands, would dump them into their drinks instead. Apparently, it tasted good enough to stand the test of time.
I’m glad it did because it made a great inspiration for this cake!
What Do I Need To Make This Peanuts and Coke Cake?
- Dry ingredients like all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt
- Coca Cola
- Butter, cubed ( I always use unsalted butter in my baking)
- Cocoa powder
- Eggs for volume and liquid
- Buttermilk – If you do not have buttermilk, place 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in a measuring cup, then fill the cup with the required amount of milk)
- Vanilla extract
- Peanut Butter – It has to be creamy!
- Powdered sugar
- Honey roasted peanuts (For garnish)
How Do I Make This Cake?
In a small bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients.
In a small saucepan, combine Coke butter and cocoa; bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
In a small bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla until blended; add to flour mixture, whisking constantly.
Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
While the cake cools, prepare the frosting. In a mixer, beat together the butter and peanut butter until combined. Add a pinch of salt.
Slowly blend in powdered sugar adding milk to think the frosting until it is a spreadable consistency. Spread the frosting over cooled cake and top with honey roasted peanuts.
How Long Will This Peanuts and Coke Cake Last?
If you keep this cake covered, it will last 2-3 days on the counter if covered completely with plastic wrap or foil. If you are wondering if this cake can be frozen? Yes! Make sure the cake is COMPLETELY covered in plastic wrap and then foil before placing in the freezer. The cake can be frozen for up to 1 month.
More Peanut Butter Recipes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups Coca Cola
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For The Frosting
- ½ cup softened butter
- 1 ½ cups creamy peanut butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup honey-roasted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk the first 5 ingredients.
- In a small saucepan, combine cola, butter, and cocoa; bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla until blended; add to flour mixture, whisking constantly.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely.
- To prepare the frosting, in a mixer, beat together the butter and peanut butter until combined. Add a pinch of salt.
- Slowly blend in powdered sugar adding milk to think the frosting until it is a spreadable consistency.
- Spread the frosting over cooled cake and top with honey roasted peanuts.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 579Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 70mgSodium 473mgCarbohydrates 66gFiber 2gSugar 48gProtein 10g