This air fryer roast beef recipe is a delicious and easy way to prepare roast beef. It takes less than an hour to make and yields tender, juicy slices of meat. All you need is your air fryer and some simple ingredients.
All about Air Fryer Roast Beef
Roast beef is a classic, beloved dish that has stood the test of time. It is a very popular dish in many countries around the world and is one of those dishes that you can make to suit any occasion. You can serve roast beef with a variety of sides, making it ideal for any size gathering or just an intimate family dinner.
Cooking roast beef in an air fryer is an easy way to prepare this classic dish, and it produces tender and juicy meat. The hot air circulates around the meat, helping to lock in moisture and create a perfect texture. It’s also faster than traditional oven-roasting methods, which is great when you’re short on time.
Because of the even circulation of heat within the appliance, you can achieve consistent results every time. Serve with your favorite sides like mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, or a side salad for a complete meal.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Air Fryer Roast Beef
- Sirloin roast
- Olive oil
- Mixed herbs: oregano, rosemary, and mixed Italian herbs
- Paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder mix
- Medium-sized potatoes
How to Make Roast Beef in the Air Fryer
- Dry the roast by patting it with a paper towel.
- Mix the salt, oregano, rosemary, mixed Italian herbs, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder in a bowl. Remove 2 tablespoons of the mixture and set it aside.
- Brush the roast with olive oil using a kitchen brush.
- Rub the meat with the seasoning mixture in the bowl, making sure it sticks all around the roast.
- Wash the potatoes and cut them into wedges. It is not necessary to peel them, but you can if you prefer.
- Peel and cut the onion into slices.
- Combine the onion slices and potato wedges in a bowl. Sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons of seasoning mixture that you set aside. Add a drizzle of olive oil and mix well.
- Place the seasoned roast in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 10 minutes at 395 degrees F (200 degrees C), flipping the meat after 5 minutes of cooking time. This will “sear the meat” and keep the juices inside the roast.
- Add the onions and potatoes to the air fryer basket. Cook for an additional 30 minutes at 285 degrees F (140 degrees C), flipping the meat after 15 minutes of cooking time.
- After the meat and vegetables are cooked, let them rest for 10 more minutes inside the air fryer. This will ensure that all the juices in the roast get trapped inside.
- Cut the roast into slices and serve with the roasted potatoes and onions.
Tips and Variations for Air Fryer Roast Beef
When preparing air fryer roast beef, there are a few tips to keep in mind that will ensure the best results.
- Try to source high-quality meat if possible because it will make a huge difference in flavor and texture.
- Try different cuts of beef if desired. Sirloin roast and rib roast will give you a tender and juicy end result. Chuck roast is full of flavor and tend to be one of the more affordable cuts of beef.
- If you have time, marinate the meat in the spice rub for 30 minutes before cooking for an even tastier roast.
- Don’t overcook your roast as this can dry out the meat and make it tough. You might need to adjust your cooking time depending on how thick your roast is. Be sure to use an accurate thermometer to check when the roast is done. The internal temperature of a roast beef should be between 145°F (medium rare) and 160°F (medium).
- Let the roast rest for 10 minutes before carving so that all of its juices end up on your plate.
- Peel the potatoes if you want to, but I love how crunchy the skin gets when you leave it on.
- Add other vegetables, such as carrots and mushrooms, to the air fryer basket for a complete meal.
Air Fryer Roast Beef FAQs
How do I know when my roast beef is done?
The best way to tell if your roast beef is done is by using an instant-read thermometer. Insert the thermometer into the center of the thickest part of the meat without touching any bones. For a medium-rare roast beef, the temperature should read at least 145°F. For a medium to medium-well roast it should be at least 160°F. When the desired temperature is reached, allow the roast to rest.
What side dishes are good with roast beef?
There are plenty of side dishes that go well with roast beef. Roasted or steamed vegetables, such as carrots, broccoli, cabbage, or green beans, make a classic accompaniment. Rice or noodles also work well with the savory meat. If you’d like something lighter, a fresh green salad or some crunchy coleslaw go well with the juicy beef. Finally, don’t forget a selection of sauces to give your roast beef even more flavor – horseradish, gravy, and mustard are all popular choices.
How do I store leftovers of air fryer roast beef?
You can store leftover air fryer roast beef in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Other Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- Milanesas de Pollo (Chicken Milanese) in the Air Fryer
- The Best Air Fryer Crispy Tofu
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
Air fryer roast beef is an easy-to-make meal that will please the whole family. Whether you’re serving it for Sunday dinner or as part of an informal get together, air fryer roast beef is sure to be a hit.
- Sirloin roast (2 lbs. piece)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons mixed herbs: oregano, rosemary, and mixed Italian herbs
- 2 tablespoons paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder mix.
- 4-6 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 big onion
- Start by patting dry the meat with kitchen paper.
- Mix the salt, herbs, and spices in a bowl and reserve. Separate 2 tablespoons of the mixture.
- Paint the cut of meat with olive oil using the kitchen brush.
- Rub the meat with the spice mix making sure it sticks to it.
- Wash the potatoes and cut them into wedges. If you want you can peel them too, but I love how crunchy the skin gets so I leave it on.
- Peel and cut the onion into slices.
- In a bowl mix the onion and the potato wedges and season with the 2 tablespoons of the spices and herbs mixture. Add a drizzle of olive oil too and mix well.
- Add the seasoned meat to the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 10 minutes on 392 F /200C flipping the meat halfway. This will “sear the meat” and keep the juice inside.
- Add the onions and potatoes and let cook for additional 30 minutes at 284F/140 C, flipping the meat at the 15-minute mark.
- Once the meat and vegetables are cooked. Let them rest for 10 more minutes inside the air fryer. This will ensure all the juices from the meat get trapped inside it.
- Cut the meat into slices and serve alongside the roasted potatoes and onions.
Depending on how thick your cut of meat you might need to change the cooking times. Usually, I like my beef to be cooked to medium-rare, so have in mind that if you would like it rare or well done you might need to adjust the timing accordingly as well.
If possible, marinate the meat in the rub spice previously for 30 minutes for an even tastier roast.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days in a sealed container.