If you love Milanesas de pollo, also known as chicken Milanese, then you will be thrilled to learn how to make this delicious dish in the air fryer. This recipe for Milanesas de pollo is the perfect combination of crispy and savory flavors that make it a favorite among many. The air fryer does all the work for you, making this an easy yet tasty meal for any day of the week.
What Is Milanesas de Pollo (Chicken Milanese)?
Milanesas de pollo is often known as chicken Milanese in the United States. It is a popular dish in Latin America and Spain. It consists of flattened chicken breasts, breaded with breadcrumbs, then fried until golden brown. The dish may be garnished with various sauces.
The name Milanesa comes from the Italian city of Milan where similar dishes have been prepared for centuries. It is thought to have been brought over to South America during the European colonial period in the late 19th century as an example of Italian cuisine adapted to local ingredients.
Today, Milanesas de pollo is popular throughout Latin America, often accompanied by a salad, rice, or french fries on the side. It is also served as part of Spanish tapas. Its crispy coating and juicy interior make this dish a favorite for all ages.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Milanesas de Pollo
- Chicken breasts (cut into fillets)
- Panko breadcrumbs (optional)
- White flour
- Dried oregano
- Dried thyme
- Dried basil
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil
How to Make Milanesas de Pollo
Prep the mise en place:
- In the first bowl, add the white flour. Set aside.
- In the second bowl, beat together the two eggs and salt. Set aside.
- In the third bowl, combine the regular breadcrumbs, panko breadcrumbs (if using), oregano, thyme, basil, and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Set up an empty plate to store the breaded chicken fillets until you are ready to air fry.
Prepare the chicken:
- Dip each chicken breast fillet in the flour, then in the egg, then in the breadcrumb mixture. Place each fillet on the plate until you have all of them done.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray or brush on the olive oil with a kitchen brush.
- Place some of the breaded fillets in the basket, making sure not to overcrowd the basket. Work in batches if needed.
- Spray some more oil onto the fillets.
- Cook at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken fillets midway through the cooking time.
- Serve with your favorite veggies or salad for a complete meal.
Tips and Variations for Chicken Milanese
Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your air frying your chicken Milanese.
- Cut each chicken fillet to the same thickness to ensure that they all cook evenly. Depending on the thickness of your fillets, it may take more or less time for them to cook.
- Preheat the air fryer for about 3 to 4 minutes before adding the chicken.
- Use a light coating of oil on the bottom of the basket so that your chicken won’t stick and burn. Spray the basket before each batch.
- Don’t overcrowd your air fryer basket. Give each piece of chicken enough room so that air can circulate around them as they cook.
- Try adding grated Parmesan cheese to the breadcrumb mixture or using different types of herbs. Top your chicken Milanese with some lemon juice for extra flavor.
- Switch up the type of protein used in this recipe by replacing chicken with pork cutlets or fish fillets.
Chicken Milanese FAQs
What is mise en place?
Mise en place (French for “putting in place”) is an essential part of a well-organized kitchen. It refers to the preparation and organization of ingredients, tools, and other materials before a cooking task begins. By having all the ingredients ready and organized before starting a recipe or dish, it allows you to work with simplicity and efficiency.
What sauces go well with Milanesas de pollo?
Milanesas de pollo can go well with a variety of sauces, such as guacamole, salsa verde, chimichurri sauce, or a simple tomato-based sauce. For something sweet and creamy, try topping your Milanesa with crema Mexicana or sour cream. You could even try serving Milanesas de pollo with a spicy aji rocoto sauce or a homemade cilantro pesto.
How do I store leftover chicken Milanese?
You can store leftover chicken Milanese in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Other Chicken Recipes
- Easy Chicken Fajitas (with the Most Delicious Homemade Salsa)
- Keto Chicken Parm Casserole
- Authentic Cuban Mojo Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Meatballs
The traditional way to prepare Milanesas de pollo (chicken Milanese) is deep frying in oil, but this air fryer version is a healthier alternative. The crispy coating on the outside and juicy chicken on the inside make it an irresistible meal option for any night of the week. Whether you enjoy Milanesas de pollo with your favorite sauces or switch up the type of protein used in this recipe, you are sure to have a satisfying dish each time.
Milanesas de Pollo (Chicken Milanese) in the Air Fryer
Incredibly tasty and easy chicken milanesas made in the air fryer
- 1 Pound chicken breast (cut in fillets)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Prep the mise en place:
- In one of the bowls crack the two eggs and add the salt to eat and beat them.
- In the second bowl prepare the breadcrumbs (regular and panko if using) and the dried herbs+ dried garlic. Mix well and set aside.
- In the third bowl add the white flour.
- 1 empty plate to store the breaded fillets once all are done.
- Dip each chicken breast fillet first in the flour, then egg and finally in the breadcrumbs and herbs mixture. Place in the plate until you have all of them done.
- Spray the basket of your air fryer with some olive oil or paint it with a kitchen brush.
- Place some of the breaded fillets in it making sure to not overcrowd the basket.
- Spray some more oil into the fillets
- Cook for 10 minutes at 374 F /190 C flipping them midway through.
- Serve alongside your favorite veggies or salad for a complete meal.
Depending on the thickness of your chicken fillets it might take more or less time for them to cook, try cutting them all the same thickness to ensure they all cook evenly.
Once done they can be stored in the fridge for 7 days in a sealed container.
Leave a Reply