This air fryer pizza rolls recipe is an easy way to make homemade pizza rolls. Made with rice paper and your favorite pizza fillings, these air fryer pizza rolls are much healthier than store-bought or deep-fried pizza rolls. Kids and adults will enjoy this fun dinner.
All about Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
Homemade air fryer pizza rolls are a great way to enjoy a tasty dinner with fewer calories and fat than store-bought deep-fried pizza rolls. And you make them with fresh ingredients instead of ultra-processed frozen pizza rolls.
These air fryer pizza rolls are also versatile. You can also use any variety of fillings to customize the flavor to your preference. Each member of the family can make their own creation with the toppings they like.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- Rice paper
- Sliced mushrooms
- Shredded mozzarella
- Marinara sauce
- Black olives (pitted)
- Dried oregano
- Fresh basil
How to Make Pizza Rolls in the Air Fryer
Prepare the rice paper:
- On a large flat plate, add enough water to dip the rice paper.
- Dip one of the rice papers in the water, making sure all of it gets wet. It will become soft and flexible. Don’t leave the rice paper in the water or it will break.
- Lay the paper on a second large plate to fill it with the pizza fillings.
Place the pizza fillings in the center of the rice paper:
- Spread a layer of marinara sauce.
- Sprinkle with oregano.
- Layer on 2 anchovies.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Layer on around 1 tablespoon of sliced mushrooms and 1/2 tablespoon of black olives (sliced) and capers.
- Layer on a few basil leaves.
Roll the pizza roll:
- Roll the pizza roll as you would a burrito.
- Fold the top and bottom borders toward the center.
- Fold the side borders toward the center as tight as possible.
- Roll it up tight.
- Repeat with one more layer of softened rice paper. This will ensure that the pizza roll doesn’t break while it’s air frying.
Air fryer the pizza rolls:
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray or brush it with olive oil to prevent the pizza rolls from sticking.
- Place the rolls in the air fryer basket with enough space around each roll.
- Spray or brush the rolls with olive oil.
- Air fry at 390 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes.
Tips and Variations for Pizza Rolls in the Air Fryer
Making the perfect pizza rolls in an air fryer is easy when you follow these tips and try these variations:
- Don’t skip the double layer of rice paper or the pizza rolls will break while air frying. You can try rolling the pizza rolls with two pieces of rice paper at the beginning instead of rolling the 2 pieces in separate steps. But I find it easier to make the rolls as explained in the recipe because the rice paper is sticky.
- Use a thin layer of marinara sauce and spread it well so the rice paper doesn’t get too wet and break.
- Don’t forget to spray or brush the air fryer basket with oil. If you skip this step, your pizza rolls can stick to the basket and break open.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer. Make sure there is space between each pizza roll so the hot air can circulate around each roll.
- Leave out or substitute any ingredients to your liking.
- Try pesto sauce instead of marinara sauce.
- Try bacon, ham, or pepperoni instead of anchovies.
- Try any variety of shredded cheese or use a mixture.
- Make a meat lovers pizza roll with only meats or a veggie lovers pizza roll with only veggies.
Air Fryer Pizza Rolls FAQs
What are ideas for pizza fillings?
Some of the most popular pizza fillings are marinara or pesto sauce, cheese, pepperoni, sausage, ham, chicken, bacon, bell peppers, mushrooms, olives, onions, spinach, artichoke hearts, and pineapple. But you can try just about anything you like.
How do I store and reheat these pizza rolls?
Store the cooked pizza rolls in an airtight container in the fridge. To reheat, spray or brush the air fryer and the pizza rolls with more oil and heat in the air fryer for around 5 to 6 minutes.
Are air fryer pizza rolls vegan?
You can create a vegan version of these pizza rolls by using vegan cheese and all vegetables for the filling.
Other Air Fryer Recipes
The Best Air Fryer Crispy Tofu
Crunchy and Sweet Air Fryer Banana Chips
Air Fryer Frozen Turkey Burgers
Air fryer pizza rolls are a healthier alternative to traditional fried pizza rolls. This recipe is also great for getting creative in the kitchen. Whether you like your pizza rolls vegan, meaty, or full of veggies, air fryer pizza rolls are sure to become one of your favorite treats.
Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
The easiest pizza rolls are made using rice paper and pizza filling. Delicious, so easy to make and so much healthier thanks to being made in the air fryer.
- 12 rice paper (2 per roll)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- ½ cup black olives (pitted)
- 8 anchovies (2 per roll)
- ½ cup capers
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
1. On a flat big plate add a bit of water (enough to dip the rice paper)
2. Dip one of the rice papers in the water making sure all of it’s wet, avoid leaving the rice paper in the water or they will break. The rice paper will become soft and bendy.
3. Lay the paper on the second plate and start filling it with the pizza fillings placing the fillings in the center:
- A layer of marinara sauce
- A sprinkle of oregano
- 2 anchovies
- Around 2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella
- Around 1 tablespoon of sliced mushrooms.
- A few basil leaves.
4. Once it’s filled, roll it exactly as you would with a burrito:
- Fold the up and bottom borders towards the center.
- Fold one of the side borders towards the center as tight as possible.
- Roll it tightly.
5. Once filled and closed, repeat with one more layer of rice paper. This will ensure it would not break while frying.
6. Place the rolls in the air fryer basket previously coated with olive oil to prevent them from sticking.
Make sure to leave enough space.
- Spray or paint the rolls with olive oil.
- Fry for 10-12 minutes at 392 F
You can roll them at once with the double rice paper instead of rolling it once with one layer and then repeating, but since wet rice paper is quite sticky, I find it easier to roll as I’ve explained.
Do not skip this double layer otherwise, the fillings would break the roll while frying.
Add a thin layer of marinara sauce and spread it well to avoid the rice paper from getting too wet and breaking.
Try changing the fillings to mimic your favorite pizza flavors:
- Pesto sauce, bacon, ham, pepperoni…
Leave a Reply