If you’re looking for a healthy and delicious snack, I have the perfect recipe for you. These air fryer banana chips are crunchy on the outside and sweet on the inside. They are quick and easy to make in the air fryer and only need a few ingredients. So gather your supplies and get ready to make some banana magic.
All about Bananas
Bananas are a popular fruit known for their yellow curved shape and sweet taste. They contain important nutrients, such as potassium, vitamin B6, magnesium, vitamin C, and fiber. Eating bananas can aid in digestion and heart health.
You can eat bananas on their own or add them to dishes like smoothies, oatmeal, or desserts. Bananas also have versatile uses in baking as a natural sweetener and binding agent.
How Does an Air Fryer Work?
An air fryer works by circulating hot air around the food using a fan. This creates a crispy, fried texture without needing to submerge the food in oil. An air fryer can cook food quickly and evenly due to the circulating hot air.
Using an air fryer can lead to healthier eating habits because it requires less oil and still achieves a satisfying crunchy texture. It’s a convenient kitchen appliance because you can use it for various types of foods, including vegetables, meat, and frozen snacks.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Air Fryer Banana Chips
- Bananas (just starting to be ripe)
- Cooking spray
- Salt flakes
- Chili powder
- Brown sugar
How to Make Air Fryer Banana Chips
- Peel the bananas and cut them into 1/4-inch slices. You can cut them into straight slices or cut them at a diagonal for a longer surface. Set the slices aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the salt flakes and chili powder for a savory snack or the brown sugar and cinnamon for a sweet snack.
- Spray the banana slices with a bit of cooking spray to help the seasoning stick. Add the slices to the bowl and toss in the seasoning.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray or line the basket with oven paper.
- Place the seasoned banana slices in the basket. Don’t overcrowd or overlap the banana slices; work in batches if you need to.
- Cook at 350 degrees F for 5 minutes. Flip the slices and cook for another 5 minutes.
Tips for Making the Best Banana Chips
This recipe is simple and only requires a few ingredients, but follow these tips to make sure you make the perfect banana chips:
- Choosing the right bananas is essential for perfect banana chips. Choose bananas that are beginning to ripen so the chips will be crispy in the end. If you choose overripe bananas, they will never become crispy and will remain soft.
- Cut each banana slice to the same width to ensure even cooking and crispiness. You don’t want some of the chips to be crispy or burned and other chips to be soft.
- Before tossing the banana slices in the seasoning, spray with a light coat of cooking spray to help the seasoning stick and to add extra crispiness.
- Avoid overlapping the banana slices in the basket. Overcrowding the banana slices will result in soggy chips. Make sure the hot air can circulate around each banana slice. Cook the slices in batches if necessary.
- Keep an eye on the banana chips while they are cooking. They can burn due to the thin slices needed for the chips to get crispy.
You can make endless variations with this recipe. Have fun experimenting with different flavors to find your favorite banana chip creation.
- Season with salt and pepper for a more familiar taste.
- Coat the banana slices in sugar and coconut flakes before air frying for a tropical flavor.
- Add spices like garam masala, cayenne pepper, or curry powder for an interesting and spicy kick.
- Experiment with different types of bananas, such as plantains or red bananas, for unique flavors.
- Dip the finished chips in chocolate for a decadent treat.
Banana Chips FAQs
How do I store leftover banana chips?
It’s best to eat the air fryer banana chips right after you cook them. But if you have leftovers, you can store them in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Line the container with kitchen paper to absorb the extra moisture.
How do I reheat the leftover banana chips?
To reheat the leftover banana chips, air fry them for a couple of minutes so they will recover their crispiness.
What are some different ways to eat banana chips?
You can enjoy banana chips as a snack on their own or added to trail mix, yogurt, oatmeal, or salads for some added crunch. You can also use them as a topping for ice cream or baked goods.
Other Banana Recipes
Air fryer banana chips are a delicious and healthy snack option. With a few simple ingredients and the air fryer, you can customize your own unique flavors with endless possibilities. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the crispy goodness at home.
Crunchy and Sweet Air Fryer Banana Chips
Incredibly easy to make air fryer banana chips, cruncky, tasty and very
- 4 bananas (just starting to be ripe)
- Spray oil
- 1 teaspoon salt flakes
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Peel and cut the bananas, for this you can cut them in wheels or a bitdiagonally to achieve a longer surface (around ¼ inch). Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix the seasoning (sweet or savory, up to you!) and add the sliced bananas to it, spray a bit of spray oil to help stick the seasoning.
- Spray the basket of your air fryer. You can also line the basket with oven paper.
- Place the seasoned banana slices and let cook for 5 minutes at 350F. Flip and cook for another 5 minutes at the same temperature. Do not overcrowd or overlap the banana slices, work in batches if needed.
It’s very important to choose the right bananas, and for this is crucial to choose bananas that are just starting to be ripe, so the chips will be crispy in the end.
If you choose ripe bananas they will never become crispy but will achieve a soft consistency.
These air fryer banana chips are best consumed right after being made in my opinion, so they will maintain their crispiness intact, however if there are leftovers (but I doubt there will be any!) you can store them in a crystal container sealed in the fridge with a bit of kitchen paper to absorb the extra moisture (for a maximum of 3 days), whenever you want to eat them, fry them for a couple of minutes in the air fryer again so they’ll recover their crispiness.
You can do this with plantain too, and with many other seasonings, salt and pepper, garam masala, curry…possibilities are almost endless!
Leave a Reply