This classic recipe for sopa de lentejas is made in the Instant Pot for maximum convenience. Earthy and warming, Sopa de Lentejas, is sure to hit the spot when you’re looking for something comforting and satisfying. With a few simple ingredients and minimal effort, this delicious dish can be ready in no time.
What Is Sopa de Lentejas?
Sopa de lentejas is translated as “lentil soup.” It is a classic Latin American soup recipe made with lentils, vegetables, and spices. It’s known for its earthy flavor and warming effect, making it the perfect comfort food. With this easy Instant Pot recipe, you can enjoy all of sopa de lentejas’ deliciousness in the most convenient way possible.
The beauty of sopa de lentejas lies in its simplicity. Lentils form the base of the soup and are combined with flavorful ingredients such as onion, garlic, carrots, thyme, and vegetable broth to create a nutritious and tasty dish. Serve it with a dollop of sour cream and some crusty bread for the perfect meal.
Ingredients You’ll Need for this Recipe
- Brown lentils (or any type of lentils except red lentils)
- Veggie stock (or chicken stock)
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Baby spinach
- Olive oil
How to Make Sopa de Lentejas
- Cut the onion into thin slices and slice the carrots.
- Heat the olive oil in the Instant Pot on saute mode (medium heat).
- Leave the skin on the 3 garlic cloves and make a slit on the sides. Add the garlic to the olive oil. This will infuse the olive oil with the garlic flavor.
- When the garlic is golden and fragrant, add the onions and carrots. Saute for 10 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add the lentils, salt, thyme, and veggie stock to the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When the cooking time is completed, do a natural release for 15 minutes, leaving the pressure cooker to release the pressure by itself.
- Release any remaining pressure and open the lid.
- Add the baby spinach and allow it to cook with the remaining heat.
Tips and Variations for Sopa de Lentejas
Remember these tips and try out these variation ideas for the best sopa de lentejas.
- Be sure to use a good quality stock as this will lend extra flavor to the soup.
- Substitute chicken stock for the veggie stock if you don’t mind the soup no longer being vegan or vegetarian.
- Add pork ribs, shredded chicken, or beef for added protein and flavor.
- For a heartier soup, add in diced potatoes, sweet potatoes, or pumpkin. They will soak up all the delicious flavors of the broth as they cook. It is not traditional but still delicious.
- For a creamy version, add in some heavy cream or coconut milk at the end of cooking. This will give it a silky texture and rich flavor.
- Use different herbs and spices to bring out different flavors. Try cumin, oregano, and paprika for a smoky flavor or parsley and bay leaves for an earthy taste.
- For a Mexican twist, add in some diced jalapeno peppers for a spicy kick. You can also incorporate corn kernels or diced tomatoes to give it a zesty flavor.
- Add in different kinds of beans, such as black beans, pinto beans, or white beans, for more texture and nutrition.
- Add in some cooked pasta or grains like quinoa or rice.
- Top your bowl of sopa de lentejas with crumbled feta cheese or a dollop of sour cream for added richness and tanginess.
Sopa de Lentejas FAQs
What are lentils?
Lentils are small, round legumes that come in many different colors, including brown, green, black, yellow, red, and orange. Lentils are a great source of plant-based proteins, making them an excellent choice for vegans or vegetarians. Because they cook quickly, they make the perfect addition to soups, stews, or salads.
Is sopa de lentejas healthy?
Yes, this recipe for sopa de lentejas is healthy and packed with lots of nutritious ingredients. The lentils provide a great source of protein along with essential vitamins and minerals. The vegetables add plenty of fiber and antioxidants to the mix, while olive oil adds a dose of healthy fats.
How do I store leftovers of sopa de lentejas?
You can store leftovers of sopa de lentejas in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it for up to 5 months.
Other Lentil Recipes
- Tuscan Lentil Soup
- Lentil Salad with Mango
- Instant Pot Turkish Red Lentil Soup (Mercimek Corbasi)
- Healthy and Hearty Vegetarian Sweet Potato Lentil Soup
- 1 ½ cups brown lentils (or any type of lentil of your choice but red lentils)
- 4 cups veggie stock (or chicken stock if you don’t mind keeping it vegetarian or vegan)
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 carrots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Start with cutting the onion and the carrots. Slice the onion thinly and cut the carrots into wheels.
- In the Instant pot set on sauté mode (medium heat) add the olive oil and the two garlic cloves with the skin on with a slit made in the side. This will infuse the olive oil with the garlic flavor.
- Once golden and fragrant add the onion and carrots and sautée for 10 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add the lentils to the instant pot and also the salt, thyme, and stock.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once finished do a natural release for 15 minutes(leaving the pressure cooker to release the pressure by itself)
- Release any remaining tension and open the lid.
- Add the baby spinach and let cook with the remaining heat.
- Serve and enjoy!
This is the ultimate comfort soup for the cold months. Earthy and deliciously warming. Can be made also adding pork ribs for protein and flavor and also some sweet potato or pumpkin (although not traditional, equally delicious)
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 5 days. It can be frozen for up to 5 months.