This Carmelitas recipe is a little different than your ordinary oatmeal caramel bar. They are filled with a peanut butter caramel sauce that is layered over white chocolate.
What Are Carmelitas?
Carmelitas are a simple bar made with a mixture of flour and oats, layered with caramel sauce and often some sort of chocolate chip. Most often you find semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips layered in, which balances some of the sweet caramel sauce. The key to a good caramelita is to watch the bake time Bake too long and the caramel isn’t gooey enough and the oatmeal browns too much. If you don’t make them long enough the caramel doesn’t set and the oatmeal crumbles. Both ways will still taste good, it is just finding balance.
WHERE IS THE CARMELITA RECIPE?
If you’d rather skip cooking tips, suggestions, handy substitutions, related recipe ideas – and get straight to the Carmelita Recipe– simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
How To Make Peanut Butter Caramelitas Recipe
This recipe starts by making your caramel sauce. I melt unwrapped caramels in a small saucepan on the stovetop with a little heavy cream. The cream keeps it from burning and keeps it smooth and creamy. Once the caramels have melted, I stir in a little peanut butter and set aside.
The bottom an top layers of the bars is a mixture of oats, flour, brown sugar, and few other basic ingredients. Stir in melted butter and press half of the bars into a greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Bake the bottom layer for about 8 minutes. When the “crust” comes it out, it will be very soft. That is totally ok. Sprinkle white chocolate chips over the bottom (although any flavor of chips will d0) pour on the caramel and then sprinkle on the remaining crust. The bars will go back on the oven for about 12 minutes. Be sure to cut these into bars while still warm, otherwise, the caramel may be hard to cut when cooled.
Can You Freeze This Caramelitas Recipe?
You can certainly freeze these, be sure they are cut in advance and stored in an airtight container. I am also going to say that will take an enormous amount of will power to store these in the freezer, I mean one taste you will be agoner!
- 1 14oz package caramels
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 11.5 oz package white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. In a medium sauce pan combine unwrapped caramels and heavy cream over low heat. Stir occasionally until caramels melt. Add peanut butter and stir until completely smooth.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in melted butter. Spread half the mixture onto a 9X13 pan. Layer will be thin. Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes.
- When crust is ready, sprinkle white chocolate over crust and top with peanut butter caramel layer. Sprinkle remaining crust over top of caramel, gently pressing it into caramel. Bake for an additional 12 minutes or until crust is lightly toasted. Cut into bars before it cools completely.
Amount Per Serving Calories 410Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 35mgSodium 255mgCarbohydrates 51gFiber 1gSugar 38gProtein 5g