Do you love seafood? If so, you’re going to love this angel hair pasta with prawns and cherry tomatoes recipe! This dish is easy to make, and it’s perfect for a romantic dinner for two. The fresh flavors of the prawns are balanced by the sweetness of the cherry tomatoes. Serve this dish with some crusty bread, and you can have dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes.
What Are Prawns?
Prawns are a popular seafood choice, known for their delicate flavor and tender texture. They can be prepared in a variety of ways, from grilling or frying to adding them to soups or salads. When shopping for prawns, look for ones that have a firm flesh and a mild sweet smell. Avoid any that have a strong fishy odor or appear mushy.
When cooking prawns, it is important not to overcook them as they can become tough and rubbery. The best way to know they are done is by their color – they should be an opaque white or pinkish color throughout.
Prawns Vs Shrimp
You may think prawn and shrimp are the same thing, but they are not. Prawns and shrimp both belong to the crustacean family and have similar physical characteristics, including a body that is divided into segments and long antennae. But there are some key differences between the two.
Prawns tend to be larger and have a slimmer appearance than shrimp. They have bigger claws on their front legs. They also have claws on 3 of their 5 pairs of legs, while shrimp only have claws on 2 pairs. They also have straight abdominal segments, while shrimp have a curved shape.
In terms of taste and texture, prawns have a sweeter, more delicate flavor than shrimp. And they are firmer than shrimp. Prawns are often used in dishes where they are the star ingredient. But shrimp are often used in dishes where they are cooked with other ingredients or used as an accompaniment.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Angel Hair Pasta with Prawns and Cherry Tomatoes
- Angel hair pasta
- Prawns (precooked)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh parsley
- Chili flakes (optional)
- Parmesan or Grana Padano cheese
How to Make Angel Hair Pasta with Prawns and Cherry Tomatoes
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- While the pasta cooks, thinly slice the garlic cloves, chop the fresh parsley, and set aside.
- Add the olive oil and sliced garlic cloves to a medium-sized pan and cook on low heat until the garlic starts becoming golden and fragrant.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and season with a bit of salt. Cover and let cook on low for 8 to 10 minutes or until the tomatoes get wrinkled and soft. At this point, the tomatoes have released some of their juices.
- Add the prawns and season with more salt, chili flakes, and half the parsley. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- When the pasta is ready, drain it and mix it with the other ingredients in the pan to combine the flavors.
- Serve with more fresh parsley and fresh grated Parmesan or Grana Padano cheese.
Tips for the Best Pasta Dish
This pasta recipe is quick and easy to follow, but following these tips will result in a tasty and satisfying pasta meal:
- Use high-quality ingredients, such as fresh prawns, imported Italian pasta, and fresh Parmesan or Grana Padano cheese.
- Use plenty of water to cook the angel hair pasta (about 4 quarts for every pound of pasta).
- Cook the pasta al dente for a perfect texture. Don’t overcook your pasta. Taste it a few minutes before the suggested cooking time to check for doneness.
- Experiment with different shapes and types of pasta to add variety to your dish.
- Add a dash of white wine to the tomatoes and prawns mixture to elevate the flavors. If you do this, let the dish cook uncovered to help the alcohol evaporate.
- For added nutrition and flavor, toss in some baby spinach leaves or chopped basil before serving.
Air Hair Pasta with Prawns and Cherry Tomatoes FAQs
Can I substitute a different type of tomato for the cherry tomatoes?
Yes, feel free to use any type of tomato in this dish. Be aware that this can change the taste and texture of the dish.
Can I substitute other types of protein for the prawns?
Yes, you can use any type of protein in this dish, such as shrimp, cubed beef, cubed chicken, or tofu.
How do I store the leftover pasta?
Leftovers of this pasta are also delicious. You can keep them in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Other Pasta Recipes
- Tasty and Healthy Salmon Pasta
- Easy Jambalaya Pasta
- Pasta Primavera with Salmon
- Garlic Shrimp Alfredo
This angel hair pasta with prawns and cherry tomatoes is a delicious, easy-to-make dish that you can enjoy as a romantic dinner or served at a dinner party. The combination of sweet prawns, juicy cherry tomatoes, and al dente angel hair pasta creates a satisfying meal. With the option to add different ingredients or swap out proteins, this recipe offers versatility and variety in your weekly meal rotation. Give it a try for your next pasta night.
- 2 oz angel hair spaghetti per person (4 in total)
- 250 gr /8.8 oz prawns (mine were pre-cooked)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes (optional)
- Parmesan cheese /grana padano cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Mine took 5 minutes for aldente texture.
- While the pasta cooks, thinly slice the garlic cloves and chop the fresh parsley and set aside.
- In a medium-sized pan add the olive oil and the sliced garlic cloves and cook on low heat until it starts to get golden.
- Once the garlic is starting to get golden and fragrant add the cherry tomatoes (washed) and season with a bit of salt. Cover and let cook on low for 8-10 minutes or until the tomatoes get wrinkly and soft.
- At this point the tomatoes have released some of their juices, add the prawns to the pan, and season with more salt, the chili flakes, and half of the parsley. Let cook for 5 more minutes.
- When the pasta is ready drain it and add it to the pan to mix it with the flavors.
- Serve with more fresh parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
You can add a dash of white wine to the tomatoes and prawns mixture to elevate a bit more the flavors. If doing this let cook uncovered to help the alcohol evaporate.
Leftovers of this pasta are equally delicious, you can keep them in the fridge for up to 5 days in a sealed container.