A simple chocolate crust is filled with a creamy, minted Irish cream filling and topped with a thick chocolate ganache.
I have great neighbors. I am surrounded by the kind of people who watch over your house while you travel, drive your kids to school if you are in a pinch, check on your pets, shovel your drive and come get your unwanted pie. I am so lucky.
I found myself with an abundance of dessert last week. I had to send out an urgent S.O.S. to all my neighbors to come quick and grab a slice of pie. I admit, it hurt to see this baby go. But sometimes you have to set free the one’s you love. I loved this pie.
It’s actually a tart. I used to think the rule with tarts was they had to be filled with fruit. Which is why my first experience with tarts involved apples. But then I questioned the whole tart thing. Why couldn’t it be made with a creamy Irish cream filling and topped ganache instead?
So that’s what I did, I made a simple chocolate wafer crust and filled it with a boozy Bailey’s Irish cream filling. The filling is cream cheese based and it’s very creamy and smooth. The Irish cream is subtle. Add more than stated on the recipe if you like. I won’t judge. You could face plant into that filling and be perfectly content. If you can restrain yourself and keep yourself from face planting then you will be treated to a pleasingly rich tasting ganache. Chocolate and Irish cream really are kindred spirits. All three layers together make a powerhouse dessert.
But don’t take my word for it, don’t take my neighbor’s word for it, TRY it. Isn’t the Irish cream calling your name?
I miss my tart.
Irish Cream Mint Chocolate Tart
For the crust
- 1 1/4 cup crushed chocolate wafers
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 butter, melted
For the filling
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons Baileyâ??s Irish Cream
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mint extract
For the ganache
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 6 oz mint baking chips
- 6 oz semi sweet chips
- To make the crust, combine the crushed wafers, sugar and melted butter. Stir until combined. Press crumbs into a 10 inch fluted tart pan. Bake for 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Remove crust and freeze while you prepare the filling.
- In a mixer bowl, combine butter and cream cheese until creamy and smooth. Carefully add in powdered sugar one cup at a time. Add Irish cream and continue to beat until smooth. Mix in whipping cream and extract. Add more heavy cream if filling is too thick. Spread filling into frozen crust. Return tart to freezer while your prepare the ganache.
- For the ganache, combine mint chips and semi sweet chips in a glass bowl. Heat heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat. When cream begins to bubble around the edges remove from heat and pour over chocolate. Stir mixture until smooth.
- Remove pie from freezer. Slowly pour ganache over filling and spread out to edges to completely cover the filling. Let set completely. Keep tart refrigerated.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 657kcal Calories from fat 369|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 41g||63%|
|Saturated Fat 25g||125%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|