This fresh strawberry pie is what springtime is all about. Made with fresh strawberries and a graham cracker crust this light-tasting dessert is perfect for any occasion.
There’s nothing that screams springtime like fresh strawberries off the vine and whether you go out picking them yourself this year or you buy them already packaged in the grocery store you’re going to love finding new uses for them.
This strawberry pie recipe is the perfect example of that.
What is Fresh Strawberry Pie?
If you love strawberries then you’re going to love this homemade strawberry pie. It’s a wonderful blend of fresh and juicy sweet strawberries coming together in a sweet cookie crust.
Top it off with whipped cream and you really have a dessert worth sharing. It’s so easy to make from scratch that you’ll want to make it over and over again, and who could blame you? It’s just too darn good!
Ingredients You’ll Need For This Fresh Strawberry Pie:
- Ready-Made Pie Crust
- Fresh Strawberries
- Whipped Cream
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Fresh Strawberry Pie
Wash your strawberries and then chop them into small bite-sized pieces.
Add your strawberries, water, gelatin, sugar, and cornstarch to a skillet and sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat.
Once thickened, add your strawberry mixture to the prepared crust.
Place into the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours.
Garnish with whipped cream.
Slice and serve. Enjoy!
- Changing the crust. We like this easy strawberry pie with a store bought crust because it really cuts down on the prep and time involved but if you want to make your own graham cracker crust you can do that instead. This pie would also taste great in a regular pie crust, one that has been blind-baked in the oven and cooled before being filled.
- Why we use gelatin. We use gelatin to help thicken the filling along with the cornstarch. This is what helps to keep the strawberry filling to set up nicely when baked so that it isn’t running all over the place when you slice through it.
Can I use frozen strawberries for this pie recipe?
I do not recommend using frozen strawberries for this pie recipe because frozen strawberries and fresh strawberries behave differently. For example, a fresh strawberry only has so much liquid content inside whereas a frozen berry has way more in them, so the content ratio in the filling will be off, making it less likely for your filling to set up properly if you use frozen strawberries.
Do I need to chill strawberry pie?
This pie needs to be placed into the fridge to chill so that the gelatin in the filling can cool and set and give you that nice slice. By keeping the pie at room temperature the filling will take even longer to set. You will also need to keep the pie in the fridge when not being eaten (for food-safety reasons). It can safely be kept covered and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
How many strawberries do I need for a pie?
You will need 2lbs of strawberries which is about 5 or 6 cups of cut strawberries. Make sure to wash them well to remove any dirt and debris and then trim off and hull the green parts as well as those won’t taste as good if they get mixed into the filling.
If you loved this strawberry pie then make sure to check out our other strawberry recipes:
- 1 Ready Made Pie Crust
- 2 lbs Fresh Strawberries
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Gelatin
- ⅓ Cup Water
- 3 Tbsp Cornstarch
- Whipped Cream for garnishing
- Chop the Strawberries into bite size pieces
- Add the Strawberries, water, gelatin, sugar and cornstarch into a skillet and saute for 5 minutes
- Add the mixture onto the pie crust and refrigerate for 2 hours
- Decorate with whipped cream