These Butterfinger cookies are slightly crispy, a little chewy and totally delicious! Each bite of these Butterfinger cookies is filled with chocolate chips and Butterfinger candies!
Halloween isn’t what it used to be. Halloween today seems to be a much bigger deal than I remember it being back in the 70’s. Today, it’s not just Halloween night, it’s really the entire month of October! Here are a few differences between Halloween then and Halloween today:
1. The anticipation. It seems when I was young, we didn’t really even think about Halloween until two weeks before. There weren’t any trips to the pumpkin patch to do hay rides, corn mazes or to drink apple cider. No going to the zoo to watch animals smash pumpkins or taking trips to local fall festivals. Instead, mom picked up a pumpkin at the grocery store. My sisters carved it the day before Halloween. We had school parties and that was it. Perhaps it was just that my parents were cheap-skates, but there just wasn’t a lot of hoopla. One day it was Halloween, the next day it wasn’t. End of story.
2. The costumes. I remember being a gypsy for about 5 years straight. How easy, how cheap! I put on a hodgepodge of my moms clothes, put on costume jewelry, wrapped a bandana around my head and voila, instant gypsy. And I was happy about it! Today, stores are pushing over priced costumes wherever you look! And they are all the same!!!! Vampire, Darth Vader, Angry Birds, Devil, Buzz Lightyear, just to name a few. Where’s the originality???? My goal is to only spend about $15 per kid. And I prefer that money go towards making up our own costumes. My kids have fallen prey to mass marketing this year. I will have a vampiress, Darth Vader and a cupcake. Clearly they need a lesson in gypsies and hobos!!
3. Trick or treating. I vividly remember taking my pillow case, meeting a friend and canvasing the neighborhood for about 3 hours straight. Sometimes I actually had to run home to empty my pillow case before hitting the road again! I went to every single house in my neighborhood. My parents didn’t even need to accompany us! There is no way I’d ever let my kids go out alone….ever!!! Thank you creepy pedophiles!!!!
4. The candy. Gobs and gobs of candy. No one gives out popcorn balls, apples and pennies anymore. We all buy the same candy from the same box stores. I sort of laugh at the irony of sending my kids out to get the exact same candy I’m giving out! I should bring back the candy apples and the popcorn balls!
Chocolate Chip Butterfinger Cookies
But, when it comes to candy, I do like my Butterfingers! I mean I REALLY like them. In fact, I’m down right surprised that I was able to set some aside to make these chocolate chip Butterfinger cookies! After a week, my kids are sick of their candy. This is where I swoop in and create something with the leftovers. Butterfinger bark and Milk Dud cookies are perfect for leftover candy!. We rarely have Butterfingers left over. I never get to make anything with them. So I did it backwards this year. I bought the Butterfingers in advance and made these chocolate chip Butterfinger cookies before Halloween. This way I get to eat tasty Butterfinger cookies now and eat my favorite candies later!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 t vanilla
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 2 cups flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 package chocolate chips (11.5oz)
- 1 cup chopped Butterfingers (about 1 8 pack)
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars together until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- Combine oats. flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and Butterfingers.
- Drop dough by tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Let cool on pan for about 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition InformationYield 48 cookies Serving Size 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving Calories 121Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 18mgSodium 104mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 1gSugar 10gProtein 2g