This skillet Chicken Verde is made with fresh tomatillos and poblano peppers! The vegetables are roasted to bring out their smoky flavor. This Tex-Mex inspired dish is easy enough for any night of the week.
What Is Chicken Verde?
Chicken Verde is chicken that is simmered in a green sauce made with poblanos, tomatillos, garlic, fresh cilantro, and spices. The sauce is succulent, vibrant, fresh, and has a touch of heat. This chicken dish is quick and easy to prepare; it’s a great way to change up how you serve chicken!
How To Make Chicken Verde
This recipe starts by roasting your vegetables. I like to place my tomatillos and poblano peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet. I place them under the broiler until they begin to blister and char. Make sure you turn your vegetables often. The tomatillos may burst, and that is ok. Everything will eventually end up in the food processor anyway.
Allow your vegetables to cool until they can be handled easily. At this point, you want to peel the pepper skin and remove the husks from the tomatillos. The poblanos, the tomatillos garlic, and all the other ingredients will go into a food processor to be processed until the sauce comes together.
I browned chicken thighs for this recipe because of their pronounced flavor, but chicken breasts or a combination would work great. Once the chicken has cooked through, add the sauce to the skillet and allow the mixture to simmer.
What To Serve With Chicken Verde?
I like to serve chicken Verde with rice (with lime and cilantro) however cauliflower rice would be delicious as well. Top your chicken Verde with avocado slices, queso fresco, chopped cilantro and a splash of lime juice. Serve warm, soft tortillas on the side!
This chicken Verde recipe happens to be one of my favorite recipes. It is a spin-off from this Quinoa Chili Verde recipe and this Chili Verde Pork Burger. This recipe is relatively quick and super simple. Yes, you do have to roast veggies, but there is nothing complicated about that. The blender does the bulk of the work, which makes this recipe even simpler!
- 1/3 cup garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husks removed
- 2 poblano chile, stemmed and seeded
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs, cubed
- Preheat broiler. Combine first 5 ingredients and arrange on a baking sheet. Broil for 10 minutes or until vegetables begins to blacken and bubble. Place vegetables in a food processor or a blender (allowing steam to escape) along with cilantro, oregano, cornstarch, salt, pepper and chicken stock. Blend until smooth.
- While veggies are roasting, heat a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken (in batches if necessary) and cook until heated through. Pour sauce over chicken, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until heated through.
Chicken breast can be used in place of the chicken thighs.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 539 Total Fat 19g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 13g Cholesterol 236mg Sodium 865mg Carbohydrates 26g Fiber 7g Sugar 12g Protein 67g