Muffins are such a great way to start the day! They are portable and easy, plus they taste delicious! These gingerbread muffins make holiday mornings festive and tasty!
We have spent a good chunk of Thanksgiving break prepping for Christmas. The weather has been ideal for picking out the tree and hanging up garland. The downside to this mad decorating is that the kids are beside themselves with anticipation. That anticipation knows no age; I cannot wait myself!
But unlike my youngest ( who wishes Christmas was tomorrow) I want to drag this month out as long as I can. It all happens so quickly. Thanksgiving is here one day and before we know it we are furiously unwrapping all the gifts under the tree. But I suppose this a perfect example of one of the many differnces between children and adults. For children time spans eons, for adults you blink and it passes.
Serving up these gingerbread muffins now will help us feel like it’s Christmas despite what the calendar tells us. Gingerbread is a classic holiday flavor that tastes as good as it smells. These hearty muffins are filled with a sweet cream cheese filling then topped with a crunchy steusel topping. These muffins are soft and tender just like cake and when you get a bite with that cream cheese you will have to convince yourself that what you eating really is breakfast and not a decadent dessert.
I added half the batter to 18 muffin cups and added a generous dollop of cream cheese into each cup then used up the rest of the muffin batter to cover up the cream cheese. In a seperate bowl I tossed together my streusel and sprinkled that over the top just before baking. These muffins are very easy but so impressive. They will bring a little cheer and joy every morning from now until Christmas!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoon, butter melted
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with 18 cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, baking soda, cinnamn, ginger, nutmeg and salt. In a seperate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, molasses and melted butter. Carefully stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until well blended.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Divide half the batter between each of the cupcake liners. Place a generous dollop of cream cheese in each of the muffin cups. Place remaining batter over the cheesecake filling.
- Combine streusel ingredients, stirring the melted butter into the mix,tossing until combined. Sprinkle steusel over the muffins.
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition InformationYield 18 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 326 Total Fat 16g Saturated Fat 7g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 7g Cholesterol 41mg Sodium 292mg Carbohydrates 44g Fiber 1g Sugar 29g Protein 4g