Soft fluffy cake mix cinnamon rolls with a Funfetti flair! These cinnamon rolls are easy, fun and tasty!
This post has been sponsored by MARS, Pillsbury, and Ziploc. All thoughts
and opinions are my own.
What’s your favorite thing to eat or serve on Christmas morning? In our house, the smell of cinnamon and sweet bread is synonymous with the Christmas morning. After the flurry of opening presence has subsided, we all settle and sit down at table to enjoy homemade cinnamon rolls. Each year I try out a new recipe. I’ve made mint chocolate chip cinnamon rolls and maple bacon cinnamon rolls for our holiday mornings. This year, I’m trying out a few different ideas.
This year I’m going to treat the family to these cake mix cinnamon rolls! You heard it right, cake mix cinnamon rolls! I start the dough with a box of Pillsbury Holiday Funfetti Cake Mix. Flour; rapid rise yeast and water are all that is necessary to make soft and fluffy cinnamon rolls!
I know the family is going to love this cinnamon roll recipe, but after each person has their cinnamon roll, they probably won’t eat another one. Our family loves cinnamon rolls, but no one ever has seconds. This brings me to my other idea. This year our family will divide up this large pan of rolls and share with our neighbors!
For this recipe, I rolled out the cinnamon roll dough into large 10-x13 inch rectangle. I spread my melted butter over the dough and then sprinkled my cinnamon mixture over top. I rolled up the dough (long end to long end) and then used a pizza cutter to divide my dough into rolls. This recipe requires you to allow the dough to rise only once, then bake, cool and frost! To make these rolls especially festive for the holidays, cover them in M&M’s Holiday Minis! After all who can resist M&M’s?
I used these adorable, holiday themed Ziploc containers to package up a few rolls to give out to our friends. You can fit enough rolls for another family to have an indulgent treat. If you wanted to fill each container with more rolls, then you could easily convert this recipe into mini rolls. You could even package unfrosted rolls in whimsical Ziploc Holiday Bags with the frosting packaged on the side.
To make mini cinnamon rolls divide the dough in half before you roll out the dough. Then proceed with the directions up to baking. Instead of baking your rolls in a baking sheet, spray mini muffin tins with non-stick spray and place your rolls in each cavity. You will still bake these mini rolls for 20 minutes. Drizzle or spread your frosting and grab your holiday Ziploc containers to give these sweets away as gifts!
This cinnamon roll recipe is a winner for several reasons. For starters, they are easy to make, they satisfy our cinnamon roll craving, plus it keeps with our holiday breakfast tradition but also allows us to share a little homemade joy with our friends and neighbors.
Bake up your own holiday recipes and share them with your friends, family and neighbors too! To save on the products featured in this post, use this Cartwheel offer the next time you shop at Target!”
- 1 15.25 oz box Pillsbury Holiday Funfetti Cake Mix (divided)
- 4 1/2 cups of flour, divided
- 2 (1/4 oz) packets rapid rise active yeast
- 2 1/2 cups war water
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cake mix
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup M&M's Holiday Minis
- In the bowl of a stand mixer that has been fitted with a dough hook, combine cake mix (reserving ¼ cup) flour and yeast. Mix. Slowly stir in warm water and continue to mix until dough begins to gather. Beat in remaining flour, ½ cups at a time until begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Sprinkle your work surface with flour and place dough onto the prepared area. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 10 x 13 inch rectangle.
- Spread melted butter over the dough.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, turbinado sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle this mixture over the butter.
- Carefully and slowly roll one long end towards the other, pinch the seam. Using a pizza cutter cut the dough into 2-inch rolls. Place rolls cut side down onto a greased jelly roll pan. Cover the pan with a towel and allow dough to rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. When dough has risen, place the rolls in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the rolls and allow them to cool completely.
- To prepare the frosting, combine the reserved ¼ cup cake mix, the powdered sugar and heavy cream in a bowl. Whisk until smooth. Spread frosting over the cooled rolls and sprinkle with M&M Holiday Minis.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 242 Total Fat 6g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 13mg Sodium 40mg Carbohydrates 45g Fiber 1g Sugar 25g Protein 3g