Toasted bread slices get slathered with an easy to make whipped feta topping and delicious roasted veggies!
I go through phases with my favorite appetizers. A few years ago I was all about this Mediterranean 7 Layer Dip. This dip traveled with me to so many parties, BBQ’s, dinners and potlucks. It is easy and pleases almost every taste. But then I got bored with it, and I switched to a new appetizer.
My next loved appetizer was these bacon wrapped roasted potatoes. Oh, boy are these good! Crispy bacon gets swirled around tender potato slices. I served them with a spicy harissa aioli. They were amazing! But I’ve discovered that not everyone loves bacon (shocking), and not everyone will eat the potatoes once they cool.
So here I am with a whole new appetizer. This bruschetta with roasted veggies has taken over as my favorite. I’ll be taking this appetizer everywhere during the holidays and beyond. Bruschetta is a simple appetizer, it is elegant and can be made with many different toppings. I knew that I wanted vibrant tomatoes to top my bruschetta. I love the yellow and the red cherry tomatoes, I think they are juicy and sweet and bring so much flavor to the table. Mini bell peppers are just as colorful and would taste great against the backdrop of my whipped feta.
Notes about the recipe:
I sprayed my peppers with Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray before placing them in the oven. This olive oil spray is lighter than using traditional olive oil; I knew it wouldn’t make my peppers too greasy which means they wouldn’t char and smoke up too quickly. I prefer using Pompeian because I know they give the same attention to quality to all their products.
The peppers will take longer to roast. The tomatoes are added to the end of the cook time, but watch them! You want the tomatoes to begin to burst. If you wait too long, they will turn to mush.
I sprayed my pan with the organic olive spray, then I placed my bread slices on the pan, and then I sprayed the tops of the bread slices as well. The spray ensured an even coating and added just enough flavor.
Cooled roasted veggies get tossed with a little oil and vinegar before serving. I sliced only my peppers, but you could roast more and leave them whole if your prefer.
I used feta cheese for my spread; flavored feta or goat cheese would be excellent!
There, now you have an impressive looking appetizer that tastes so delicious, they could be a meal all on their own!
Bruschetta with Roasted Veggies
- 1 baguette, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup yellow cherry tomatoes
- 6-8 mini bell peppers
- Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- pinch of salt
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz crumbled feta
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange peppers on a baking sheet and lightly spray with olive oil spray. Place peppers in the oven and roast for 15 minutes, turning once. Add tomatoes and roast another 5-7 minutes or just until tomatoes begin to burst. Remove veggies from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray. Arrange bread slices and then spray the tops of the bread. Toast bread in the ovent for 12-15 minutes or until golden; turning at least once.
- To prepare the whipped feta, beat together the cream cheese and the feta cheese. Add heavy cream and beat until creamy.
- When the veggies have cooled, place the tomatoes in a bowl. Slice the peppers and add them to the tomatoes. Add oil, vinegar, garlic and salt; toss to coat.
- To assemble, spread the whipped feta on cooled bread slices. Top the bread evenly with the roasted veggeis; serve.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 235kcal Calories from fat 117|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 13g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Holiday cooking is all about adding special touches to your gatherings. Quality ingredients are a must! Pompeians commitment to quality can be tasted in each and every bottle!