This Spanish rice recipe is a flavorful and easy way to enjoy traditional Mexican cuisine. With a few ingredients and an Instant Pot, you can create the perfect fluffy Spanish rice in no time. This rice makes an excellent side dish for tacos, burritos, or any other Mexican meal you can think of.
All about Spanish Rice
Spanish Rice is a classic recipe that is often served with Mexican cuisine. It’s a savory side dish made from long-grain white rice cooked with tomatoes and spices. This delicious combination of flavors makes it the perfect accompaniment to tacos, burritos, enchiladas, or any other traditional Mexican meal.
Spanish rice is not from Spain but from Mexico. It is believed that Spanish rice was developed in Mexico and then spread throughout Central and South America. The dish has since been adopted by many cultures around the world, including in North America. There are many different versions of this recipe, and it can be customized to fit any taste.
Cooking Spanish rice in an Instant Pot has many benefits. It saves time because the entire cooking process can be completed within minutes with no need to watch over it. The Instant Pot shuts off automatically once the desired pressure is reached. This eliminates any potential for overcooking (or burning) the rice so your Spanish rice turns out right.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Spanish Rice
- White rice (long grain)
- Chicken broth or water
- Garlic cloves
- Red chili pepper
- Olive oil
- Tomato paste (tomato concentrate)
- Dried oregano
- Coriander seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Lime juice
How to Make Spanish Rice in the Instant Pot
- Press the garlic cloves with a garlic press or mince them with a knife. Set aside.
- Mince the red chili pepper. Set aside.
- Grind the coriander and cumin seeds. Set aside.
- Turn on the saute mode on medium heat on the Instant Pot. Saute the garlic and red chili pepper in the olive oil for around 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and fry for a couple more minutes.
- Add the rice and mix to coat the rice well.
- Add the oregano, salt, and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add the chicken broth and close the lid of the Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes and do natural release.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and lime juice for a final touch of freshness.
Tips and Variations for Spanish Rice in the Instant Pot
When it comes to making the best Spanish rice in the Instant Pot, there are a few tips and variations that can help you get the perfect flavor and texture.
- Always use long grain white rice rather than arborio or other risotto-style rice. Long grain white rice is less likely to clump together when cooked in the Instant Pot.
- Add cubed chicken or sausage to create a main course.
- Use the Spanish rice as the base of a casserole.
- Add vegetables, such as bell peppers, carrots, black beans, corn, mushrooms, or zucchini, for extra nutrition and color. Sauté them in oil until tender before adding the other ingredients.
- Experiment with adding your favorite herbs and spices, such as thyme, paprika, or cayenne pepper, for extra flavor. You could also use a premade taco seasoning mix to flavor the dish.
- To give your Spanish Rice a true Mexican flair, try adding chopped tomatoes, olives, and jalapenos to the mix or top it off with a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheese.
Spanish Rice FAQs
Is Spanish rice gluten free and dairy free?
Yes, this recipe for Spanish rice in the Instant Pot is gluten free and dairy free. It is safe for people with Celiac disease, gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance, or a dairy allergy.
How can I make this recipe vegetarian or vegan?
You only need to make one simple change to make this recipe vegetarian and vegan. Substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
How do I store leftovers of Spanish rice?
You can store leftovers of Spanish rice in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Other Rice Recipes
The Instant Pot makes Spanish rice a breeze to prepare, and it’s the perfect side dish for many Mexican meals. With this easy recipe, you can whip up delicious Spanish rice in no time with simple ingredients. Plus, you can customize the flavors by adding your favorite herbs and spices or add proteins such as chicken or chorizo to make it a meal.
- 1 cup white rice (long grain)
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ red chili
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato concentrate
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ tablespoon coriander seeds
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro for garnish
- Lime juice for a final touch of freshness
- Mince the garlic cloves or press them using a garlic press. Set aside.
- Mince the red chili. Set aside.
- Grind the coriander and cumin seeds. Set aside.
- In the instant pot on the saute mode on medium heat, pour the olive oil, the garlic, and the red chili for around 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and let fry for a couple of minutes more.
- Add the rice and coat well. Add the oregano, the salt, and the turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Add the chicken stock and close the lid of the Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes and let do a natural release of pressure.
- Serve with some fresh cilantro alongside some lime to squeeze some juice.
This Spanish rice is not from Spain but from Mexico, so it’s a perfect addition to any Mexican feast as a side.
We recommend storing any leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days in a sealed container.