For a dish that is quick to make and easy to incorporate into several different recipes, instant pot shredded chicken is the way to go. Whether you are making chicken salad, pulled chicken pitas, or even pasta, making shredded chicken in your instant pot will help you have a healthy and filling meal on the table in minutes.
4 Ways to Shred Chicken
One of the hardest parts about instant pot shredded chicken is the step where you need to shred it. Don’t panic, however, as there are several different ways you can shred your chicken once it is cooked. Our favorite methods are listed below.
- Using a Fork – Grab two large forks, pressing both firmly into the chicken. Then, pull them in opposite directions at different times and continue until the chicken is shredded.
- Using Your Hands – You actually don’t need any tools to shred chicken, just let it cool then begin pulling it apart with your hands.
- Use a Hand Mixer – A hand mixer can work just as well as a fork or your hands, just place the chicken in a bowl and blend using the mixer on the low setting until desired consistency is reached.
- Using a Stand Mixer – Don’t have the time to shred your chicken? Put it in the mixer with paddle attachments on medium-low and let it run for a few minutes while you work on something else.
Ways to Use Shredded Chicken
No matter what your dietary restrictions or preferences are, there are hundreds of ways to use shredded chicken. We’ve listed our favorite ways below.
Main Dishes Using Shredded Chicken
- Chicken enchiladas
- Chicken tacos
- Pizza topped with veggies and shredded chicken
- Chicken stuffed backed avocados
- Shrimp, chicken, and sausage gumbo
- Chicken and veggie quesadillas
- Pulled chicken burgers
- Chicken spaghetti
Shredded Chicken Soups
- Chicken tortilla soup
- Chicken noodle soup
- Mango and coconut chicken soup
- Chicken chili
- Chicken and dumplings
Shredded Chicken Casseroles
- Chicken pot pie casserole
- Chicken tetrazzini
- Broccoli and chicken casserole
- Chicken shepherd’s pie
Shredded Chicken Salads
- Waldorf chicken salad
- Vietnamese chicken salad
- Chicken taco salad
- Chicken enchilada soup
Shredded Chicken Dips
- Buffalo chicken dip
- Chicken alfredo dip
- Salsa ranch chicken dip
- Chicken bacon jalapeno dip
- 7-layer dip with chicken
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Ingredients:
- Raw chicken breasts
- Bay leaves
- Garlic cloves
- Chicken stock
- Bay leaves
Step by Step Instructions on How to Make Shredded Chicken in an Instant Pot
Step 1: Add Ingredients
Start by placing all of your ingredients in the instant pot and then pour the chicken stock on top of everything.
Step 2: Close the Lid
After adding the ingredients, close the lid of the instant pot, ensuring it’s sealed tightly.
Step 3: Cook
Then, set the timer for 15 minutes, allowing the instant pot to do a natural finish once the cooking is complete.
Step 4: Shred
Next, remove the chicken from the instant pot and shred it using your preferred method.
Step 5: Incorporate
Lastly, incorporate your shredded chicken into one of your favorite recipes.
What to Serve with Shredded Chicken
Shredded chicken doesn’t have to be incorporated into a meal. In fact, shredded chicken can be amazing served as the main dish as is. Simply pair your shredded chicken with a side of rice, a vegetable, and some sort of sauce and you have dinner.
Expert Tips and Variations
- For gluten-free shredded chicken, check to ensure the stock you use is certified gluten-free.
- Make extra shredded chicken and freeze it for use in recipes all week or month long.
- Leftover chicken in smaller batches is ideal for mixing a quick chicken salad that can be added to sandwiches for lunch the next day.
How to Serve Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Instant pot shredded chicken is best served by mixing it into your favorite recipe that calls for precooked chicken.
You can also serve instant pot chicken as part of a build your own chicken bowl or burrito bowl bar. Just lay out all the toppings and allow guests to make their own dinner to their specific tastes.
How to Store Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Instant pot shredded chicken is best stored in an airtight container or Ziploc bag. The shredded chicken will stay fresh in your fridge for 5 days, or in your freezer for up to 6 months.
How Long Does Chicken Take to Cook in an Instant Pot?
Chicken takes about 15 minutes to cook in an instant pot.
Can I Layer Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot?
Yes, you can layer chicken breasts in the instant pot. However, it is not recommended as it takes longer for the pot to reach temperature and may lead to uneven cooking.
Can You Cook Frozen Chicken in the Instant Pot?
You can cook frozen chicken in the instant pot and it is one of the best methods to do so.
How Long Does Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Last?
The cooked and shredded chicken lasts 5 days in the fridge when stored in an airtight container.
Can You Freeze Shredded Chicken Cooked in an Instant Pot?
You can freeze shredded chicken made in an instant pot for up to 6 months in a Ziploc bag.
Overall, instant pot shredded chicken is the perfect go-to dinner idea. Whether you want to make a casserole, a dip, or a salad, shredded chicken can be added to almost any recipe in just minutes. Just remember to make extra to store in your fridge or freezer to make future meal prep a breeze.
Simple Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Recipe
The easiest shredded chicken, full of flavor and conveniently made in the instant pot. Perfect to have shredded chicken ready for all kinds of recipes.
- 1 pound of chicken breasts (usually one whole chicken breast)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 33 oz chicken stock
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and halved)
- Add to the Instant pot the chicken breast, the salt, the garlic cloves, and the pepper, and cover with the chicken stock.
- Close and cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Once it finishes cooking do a natural release.
- Take out of the Instant pot and shred it using two forks.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge until use.
You can also freeze the shredded chicken and store it in ziplock bags to have it portioned and ready to use.
It’s very good to have on hand to make chicken salad (link to our Greek yogourt chicken salad), fill some buns with bbq sauce, or use in our crack noodle chicken soup (link)
It can be stored for up to 5 days in the fridge, or frozen for up to 6 months.
Amount Per Serving Calories 280Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 104mgSodium 967mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 0gSugar 4gProtein 42g
Leave a Reply