This chocolate mousse pie will remind you of a rich, mug of cocoa! The filling has a deep chocolate taste just like any self-respecting hot chocolate! This pie is a real crowd pleaser!
How To Make Chocolate Mousse Pie
This is one of those ridiculously simple recipes that always tastes delicious and impresses your guests! While the effort level isn’t big, the reward sure is. The only thing this pie requires is a little time, mostly to set up. But beyond that, it is easy and the ingredient list is totally manageable!
I used a pie crust dough from a box, a prebaked shell would be just as fine. If you were really ambitious, a chocolate cookie crust would be fine, I just wanted this recipe to very, very simple. It doesn’t get any easier than using premade pie crust!
The filling starts with a chocolate ganache. Go big here since it is a chocolate pie. Splurge and get GOOD quality chocolate. They will melt better and taste richer. You will also want a good hot chocolate mix, as this gets whisked into your ganache. Again, you will not regret splurging a bit for this pie as better ingredients will enhance the taste. Fold in whipped topping (i.e. Cool Whip) and marshmallow fluff (what’s cocoa without the marshmallows) until completely blended and pour into your baked pie crust. Allow the pie to set overnight. Before serving, top your pie with whipped cream and garnish as desired (I used chopped up peppermint chocolate bark to make it festive).
Can I Freeze Chocolate Mousse Pie?
Yes, you can! Once the pie has set, cover it completely and securely in plastic wrap. The pie can be frozen for up to 1 month. Allow it to come to room temperature before serving. Add the whipped topping just before serving.
How Long Is Chocolate Mousse Pie Good For?
This pie will be good for up to 5 days as long as it stays refrigerated. You may notice, however, that the whipped topping may begin to run. If the pie will not be consumed immediately, keep the whipped topping separate.
- 1 pie crust dough
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 packet hot chocolate mix
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 8 oz tub Cool Whip
- 1 7 oz container marshmallow fluff
- For the whipped topping:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Peppermint candies (optional)
- Prepare pie crust according to package direction.
- Place chocolate chips in a bowl. Place heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Allow cream to form bubbles around the edges (do not boil), whisk in cocoa mix. Pour the milk over the chocolate. Let chocolate sit for 2-3 minutes, whisk until thickened. Allow ganache to cool to room temperature.
- When ganache has cooled, fold in whipped cream and marshmallow fluff. Pour chocolate into prepared crust. Refrigerate pie overnight.
- To prepare the topping, whip the heavy cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form.
- Top the pie with the whipped topping, sprinkle with candies if desired.