Cereal is coated with pudding mix, peanut butter, and cocoa powder to create an addictive chunky monkey snack!
When the kids were babies and I needed to get dinner going, I would seat them in their high chairs and let them suck on cheerios. And when I needed to get out for a walk, I would load them into the big, cumbersome stroller and give them a little spill-proof container of Goldfish and off we’d go. When they were toddlers and I needed to quickly make it through the grocery store, I would give them a baggie of trail mix or even a sucker and I would shop away. And to get through church, I always packed two packs of fruit snacks per kid. You can judge me if you’d like, but giving my kids snacks was the way I survived.
The snacks not only kept them occupied, it also kept those hunger-related meltdowns at bay. A happy kid was a happy mom and a happy mom kept peace in the family. See, the snacks were for the common good.
Even now, as we are way passed the toddler years, I find myself still packing snacks. We never go on a road trip without a car full of munchies. The same holds true for baseball games; marathon gymnastics meets, dance recitals, day hikes, bike rides and afternoons at the pool.
The snacks have changed. Now I make Cherry Pie Energy Bites, Salty Sweet Chocolate Covered Pretzels. Or if I’m feeling generous, snacks like Puppy Chow Recipes or this Chunky Monkey Buddy Muddy recipe! I’m almost ashamed to admit, that this is my very first Muddy Buddy recipe ever!
I assumed I wouldn’t like them, although I’m no quite sure where that thought came from. The truth is this mix is not only delicious, but it is positively addictive! It’s so easy too! The banana pudding is my secret way of adding the chunky monkey flavor. You could incorporate banana chips if you’d like! There are so many ways to adapt this recipe. No matter what you do, I am confident you are going to love it!
- 9 cups Chex Cereal
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups of creamy peanut butter
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 3.4 oz package banana pudding mix
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Place the cereal in a large bowl.
- Combine the butter and peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until butter has melted. Stir until smooth. Pour peanut butter mixture over the cereal and turn to coat. Place cereal in a large zip-top bag.
- Add powdered sugar, pudding mix, and cocoa powder in the plastic bag. Seal the bag and turn it so that the dry mixture evenly coats the cereal. Pour mixture onto wax paper to cool.
- When cereal has cooled, stir in peanut butter chips and chocolate chunks. Store muddy buddies in an air-tight container.
Amount Per Serving Calories 308Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 7mgSodium 211mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 3gSugar 27gProtein 6g