Savory bread pudding, creamy and cheesy, bursting with lemon and artichokes. No sweet bread pudding here! This savory side dish is as delicious as it looks!
Yes, here I am with ANOTHER side dish recipe. If your family is like mine, then you understand the importance of a good side dish. In fact, the sides dishes are almost more important than the turkey. Up until now, I stayed pretty traditional with the sides; stuffing, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce. But this year? Well, this year I am less about tradition and more about flavor.
The other day, I shared with you a new grain and tasty new way to eat Brussels sprouts.
Now I’m going to convince you that you don’t need stuffing to complete your Thanksgiving table, you need savory bread pudding!
This savory bread pudding starts with eggs, cream, milk and Greek yogurt. Rustic Italian bread is cubed and added to the bowl, along with Parmesan cheese and Gruyere cheese. Chopped canned artichokes are added next for some mild flavor and texture. Finally, the grand finale; pure lemon extract. You will not believe the flavor this extract brings!
Lemon is such a natural pairing for anything with artichokes, and it sets this bread pudding recipe apart from all the others. You may be thinking, why not use lemon juice? Sure you could do that, but the flavor won’t be as intense. I sometimes find when I use lemon juice or lemon zest, the flavor from the lemons just softly seeps into the background. But when you use an extract, whether it be in baked goods or savory dishes, the flavor really pops.
This savory bread pudding has it all. Between creamy Gruyere and the nutty Parmesan, there is loads of cheese, and tang from Greek yogurt. It is filled with lots of soft, hearty Italian bread, humble artichokes, and it is bursting at the seams with lemon flavor.
Artichoke lemon savory bread pudding is rich and satisfying. A delicious side for your everyday dinner, but definitely worthy enough for your holiday table.
Savory Bread Pudding with Lemon and Artichokes
Savory bread pudding made with lots of cheese, artichokes, and lemon extract!
- 8 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb Italian bread loaf cubed
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 3 teaspoons Nielsen-Massey pure lemon extract
- 1 14oz can artichoke hearts coarsely chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, milk, yogurt, garlic, basil and salt. Stir in bread cubes, 2/3 cup of Parmesan cheese and 2/3 cup Gruyere cheese, followed by the lemon extract. Stir in chopped artichokes.
- Spray a 9x13 in baking pan with baking spray. Spread mixture into the prepared pan. Top with remaining cheeses. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 40 minutes or until middle has set. Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.