Orange Scented Chocolate Chip Scones make an excellent breakfast or midday snack!
Coffee or tea optional!
Do you ever have one of those eerily quiet days? Days where the phone doesn’t ring at all. Days where the only emails you find in your inbox are from stores and daily deal sites. Days where not one single person sends you a text.
Do you ever days where UPS delivers to every house but yours and the mailman only has circulars and fliers to give you. Those are sad, lonely days. I find those quiet days are ironically the days I feel especially chatty and particularly bored. I find I’m dying to talk to someone, yet no one appears to need to talk to me. These are days that I see the benefit to subscribing to Life Alert. You know, just in case.
I make calls, write emails, send texts to no avail. I call my cell phone just to make sure it works (it does). These are days I’m so thankful I have a dog so I don’t feel like a crazy person talking to myself.
There’s only one thing to do when you have no one to talk to and no one to write. You bake. You bake scones and you load them with mini chocolate chips and orange zest. Then, because there is no one around to talk you out of it, you cover the scones with an orange flavored glaze AND frost the scones with a cream cheese frosting. Since no one is around to watch, you eat one (or two) orange scones. After you lick your lips and wipe away the crumbs, you are sort of glad no one is around because then you’d have to share.
These orange scented scones are big, thick, flaky, bakery style scones. You certainly don’t have to add the icing, the glaze would be good enough! These orange scented scones make an excellent companion to your morning coffee or your afternoon tea!
COFFEE LOVES COMPANY
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE TO MY EMAIL TODAY!
Don’t forget you can save each of these recipes to your personal recipe box , create your own meal plan, or add ingredients for each recipe to your shopping list! Just use the “Save Recipe” on all my recipes!
Orange Scented Chocolate Chip Scones
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 milk
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut in cold butter with a fork and a pastry knife until it is incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, orange zest, orange juice and milk. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until dough is moistened. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Sprinkle with flour. Place dough on floured paper and divide it in half. Pat each half into a 6” circle (about ¾ in thick). Brush each round with a teaspoon of milk. Using a warm knife, slice each circle into 6 wedges. Carefully pull each wedge so that there is about ½” space between them. Place the pan in the freezer for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425. Bake scones for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown. Remove and cool for a few minutes before covering in glaze. Once glaze is completely set, drizzle scones with icing.
- To make the glaze, stir together all the ingredients until smooth. Spoon glaze over slightly warm scones. Let set.
- For the icing, beat together butter and cream cheese. Slowly add powdered sugar. Beat in vanilla and milk until you achieve a pourable consistency.
- Makes 12 scones.
SEE THIS ON MY PINTEREST BOARD!