No bake Nutella mint granola bars come together quickly and easily!
The perfect snack for back to school!
I made my 8 year old son cry the other day. He was innocently watching tv when I walked in and announced that I had just printed off their school supply list! I guess my announcement was delivered with a little too much exuberance because he lost it. That wasn’t my intention, honestly. But it IS August, it’s time to start thinking about back to school whether we like it or not.
For my son Owen, the mere thought of getting up at the same time each day, running to catch the bus, the full day of learning coupled with the short lunch period, all the homework and the early bedtime moved him to tears. Whereas my unexpected excitement at the mention of school stems not from having the house to myself, but because I thrive on the routine that the school year brings. I like to know what to expect, I like each day to have some repetition, I like to have regiment. I am not the go-with-the-flow kind of person I pretend to be. I like order.
I felt terribly guilty for the tear stained cheeks that my son was sporting. To compensate I made him granola bars. Nutella, his favorite. With mint, my favorite! These were stellar. I mixed Rice Krispies in with my nuts and oats to make the snap, crackle, pop in your mouth. The Nutella gave these granola bars a nice chocolate flavor and with each bite your mouth got a minty surprise from the mint chips.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE TO MY EMAIL TODAY!
No Bake Nutella Mint Granola Bars
- 2 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup flax seed
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup Nutella
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Andes chips
- In a large bowl combine cereal, oats, wheat germ, flax seed and almonds. Set aside.
- Line a 9-x13 pan with foil and spray with non stick spray and set aside.
- In a saucepan combine honey and sugar, stirring until dissolved. Add in Nutella and let mixture come to just a boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in extracts. Poor hot mixture over cereal mixture and stir until it is all combined. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before adding mint chips. Pour mixture onto prepared pan and let stand until cool. Cut into bars.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 3401kcal Calories from fat 1143|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 127g||195%|
|Saturated Fat 63g||315%|
|Dietary Fiber 50g||200%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|