These lemon cookies are crisp and buttery; perfect as is! But top these cookies with a white chocolate ganache and you have something amazing!
Lemon Cookies With White Chocolate
No matter the time I year, there is something about lemon cookies that I find absolutely irresistible! Their tanginess adds a vibrancy that is welcomed all year long. I am especially happy when lemon cookies are combined with white chocolate! White chocolate is mild and creamy tasting; it lends the ideal balance to tart lemon cookies.
WHERE IS THE LEMON COOKIE RECIPE?
If you’d rather skip cooking tips, suggestions, handy substitutions, related recipe ideas – and get straight to the Lemon Cookie Recipe– simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
How To Make Homemade Lemon Cookies
These lemon cookies have the texture of a shortbread cookie as they are buttery and flaky. Butter, sugar, lemon juice, and zest are combined with eggs, vanilla, and flour until a dough begins to form. The dough will appear crumbly but will be easily worked into balls with your hands. After I place the cookies on my baking sheet, I use a small 1/4 teaspoon measuring spoon to make small indentations in the center of each cookie. The cookies will only take about 12 minutes to bake.
Once cooled, each cookie is filled with a white chocolate ganache. Lemon zest and sugar are sprinkled over top to really bring home the lemon flavor. Allow the cookies to sit until the ganache has set before placing them in an airtight container.
- For the ganache
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz white chocolate chopped
- For the cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- For the topping
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- For the ganache: place chopped chocolate in a bowl. Bring heavy cream to a boil. Pour over white chocolate and stir until completely melted. Cover and set in fridge to thicken. Make the ganache before the cookies so that the chocolate can set by the time you are ready to use it.
- Meanwhile, pre heat oven to 350. In a bowl beat butter, sugar, zest, lemon juice vanilla and salt until light and creamy. Add in the egg and continue beating. Slowly add in flour until completely blended.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop a small about of dough and roll gently into a ball shape. Place on a lightly greased or lined cookie sheet about two inches apart. Using the back end of a 1/4 teaspoon, gently make indentation into cookie. Bake for 12-14 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before placing on cookie sheet. Cool completely.
- When cookies are cool, fill each cookie cavity with a teaspoon of white chocolate ganache.
- For a little more lemon flavor, zest another lemon into a bowl. Add a tablespoon of sugar and stir until sugar is absorbed. Sprinkle zest over cookies.
- Cookies adapted from King Arthur Flour Company
Nutrition InformationYield 36 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 132 Total Fat 7g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 21mg Sodium 38mg Carbohydrates 16g Fiber 0g Sugar 8g Protein 1g