Fresh peppers, onions, mushrooms and avocados combine with spicy Jack cheese
for a kicked up Fajita Grilled Cheese!
I’m utterly addicted to spicy food. There isn’t a food out there that I don’t think would be better with a little heat. Heck even chocolate tastes better with a little chili powder. Am I totally alone in this train of thought? I didn’t think so. It’s not really my fault. I blame my parents, who were spicy food addicts themselves. Some people use ketchup as a condiment, my family always had the hot sauce handy.
My own kids did not inherit my spicy food affliction. It disappoints me daily. I’d love to serve more food that packs a punch, but I know my lily-livered offspring would hold their throats, gasp for air and shout out that they are in desperate need for water. It’s pathetic. I’m embarrassed for them actually.
Sometimes I think my kids wouldn’t recognize good food if it smacked them in the face. I stuff my own pie hole full of food like this Fajita Grilled Cheese while they eat their plane Jane sandwiches. I savor sautéed peppers, avocados and Pepper Jack Cheese, while their PB & J’s turn to paste in their mouths. No matter. My family is the one missing out. They can live in their bland culinary bubble if they want Me and my taste buds are going to live a little!
TO SEE THE RECIPE FOR THIS FAJITA GRILLED CHEESE HEAD OVER TO FOOD FANATIC!
ROCKING THE GRILLED CHEESE
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE TO MY EMAIL TODAY!
Don’t forget you can save each of these recipes to your personal recipe box , create your own meal plan, or add ingredients for each recipe to your shopping list! Just use the “Save Recipe” on all my recipes!
SEE THIS ON MY PINTEREST BOARD!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 thick slices of sourdough bread
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 1 small onion sliced
- ½ bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large portabella mushroom, sliced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¾ teaspoon Ancho chili powder
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat a large skillet and drizzle with olive oil. Add onions, pepper and mushrooms. Sprinkle vegetables with salt, cumin, oregano and chili powder. Cooke until vegetables have softened, about 5-7 minutes, remove vegetables and set aside. Wipe out skillet.
- Butter one side of each bread slice with a ½ teaspoon of butter. Place 4 slices buttered side down onto skillet. Top bread with one slice of cheese, a ¼ of the veggie mixture, avocado slices and then remaining bread-buttered side up. Cook until bread begins to brown about 3-4 minutes, flip and cook the second side until it has browned also-another 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 570 Total Fat 22g Saturated Fat 9g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 10g Cholesterol 35mg Sodium 1121mg Carbohydrates 73g Fiber 6g Sugar 8g Protein 22g