These brown sugar cookies have the perfect soft texture yet maintain the right amount of crunch! These golden cookies are studded with dark chocolate chips which do a perfect job of balancing out the sweet cookie dough!
When the kid’s and I get bored, we bake. The best and easiest thing to make, of course, is cookies! These brown sugar cookies are THE BEST boredom buster cookies!
I’m also going to call these my “Tik Tok” cookies. Since we have more time as a family at the moment, I decided to try the one social media medium that I haven’t has been completely foreign to me. I made a few videos on there, the jury is still out…but I have lots of time to explore that.
Now, let’s talk about cookies!
I know we have all tried and made a million kinds of chocolate chip cookies. Often, cookies will be made with a mixture of granulated sugar and brown sugar.
Because brown sugar has molasses, it tends to have a deeper flavor and can change the texture of your cookies. By using all brown sugar, you will add moisture to your cookies which will make them soft and tender.
How To Make Brown Sugar Cookies?
In a bowl of a mixer, combine butter and brown sugar and beat until creamy.
Add the egg and mix well.
Place the flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. Carefully add flour mixture to butter mixture-scraping bowl as necessary.
Continue to mix until well blended. Mix in 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Fold in your chocolate chips.
Using a cookie scoop, divide your dough between 4 lined baking sheets.
Bake the cookies in a 350-degree oven just until edges are set, about 8-10 minutes.
Let cookies cool for 1 minute on baking sheets before removing to a cooling rack.
Which Brown Sugar Is Good For Cookies?
I personally prefer to use light brown sugar in my making and this holds true for recipes like carrot cake that typically use dark brown sugar. I like the texture of the light brown sugar, the flavor and the light color it lends my baked goods.
For this recipe, I recommend using light brown sugar.
- Make sure you line your baking sheets. I think we are all used to hearing that by now, but it bears repeating. Silicone mat making this so easy and they are easy to clean as well.
- You can add a little vanilla extract to this recipe if you would like.
- The dough will not be creamy like other cookie recipes, but it will come together once you scoop the dough.
- I like to roll my cookies so that they are all the same size and bake evenly.
- I used Ghirardelli’s 60% Cocoa Bittersweet Chocolate Chips. I like the contrast of the dark chocolate with the sweet cookie dough.
- I know the vinegar seems like an odd ingredient. You will not taste the vinegar at all. Instead, it reacts with the baking soda during baking and will help your cookies stay puffed up.
- I like to bake my cookies for the lowest amount the recipe will allow because I like them to be golden and soft. For a crisper, chewier cookie, bake your cookies for the full time.
- Make sure you allow your cookies to cool completely to room temperature on a cooling rack.
- These cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to one week (although they may not last the day).
More Cookie Recipes:
More Brown Sugar Recipes
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 10 oz bag bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a bowl of a mixer, combine butter and sugar and beat until creamy.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Place the four, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. Carefully add flour mixture to butter mixture-scraping bowl as necessary.
- Continue to mix until well blended. Stir in vinegar.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop dough by tablespoons onto cookie sheets. Bake just until edges are set, about 8-10 minutes.
- Let cookies cool for 1 minute on baking sheets before removing to a cooling rack
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- OXO Good Grips Small Cookie Scoop
- Silpat Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8 x 16-1/2
- Checkered Chef Cooling Racks For Baking - Quarter Size - Stainless Steel Cooling Rack/Baking Rack Set of 2 - Oven Safe Wire Racks Fit Quarter Sheet Pan - Small Grid Perfect To Cool and Bake
Nutrition InformationYield 48 Serving Size 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving Calories 119Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 14mgSodium 113mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 2g