A simple yet succulent apple ginger slow cooker ham; perfect meal for any night of the week!
I have not been good to ham. It’s the forgotten meat in my world. Chicken, beef and pork make plenty of appearances on our dinner table, but ham seems to surface around Easter only. Shame on me. Why have I forsaken ham? It’s never been anything but good to me.
I avoid ham, like many other large cuts of meat because I’m afraid I won’t know the best way to prepare them. Each time I roast a turkey or a pork loin, I’m shocked out how simple it is. Sure one could get complicated with their recipes, but I find with most meats, simple seasoning and slow roasting are all that are needed for success. But if I want to keep things extra easy, I pull out the slow cooker.
Now that the kids are back in school, our lives have become especially crazy. This time of year where I heavily rely on my slow cooker. This slow cooker ham is the perfect recipe for my busy days. The base for the glaze is seasonally appropriate apple cider that I’ve doctored up with a bit of fresh ginger, brown sugar, orange juice, orange zest and allspice. Place the ham in the slow cooker then drizzle the sauce on top. Let the slow cooker do its thing for a few short hours and then you have a tangy, sweet ham to feed your family
The next day, your leftover ham can be turned into completely different meals by using it in Broccoli and Ham Mac and Cheese or this Cuban Bubble Pizza. Leftover ham is the perfect partner for eggs in the morning or sandwiches at lunch.
This slow cooker ham recipe has officially made the weeknight dinner rotation. Why should chicken have all the fun?
- 1 5 lb boneless ham
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- juice from half an orange
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- In a small saucepan, combine apple cider, brown sugar, orange zest, orange juice, ginger, and allspice. Whisk over medium heat until sugar has dissolved and flavors have combined.
- Meanwhile, slice ham into 1-inch slices, taking care not to cut straight through. Place ham in the slow cooker and pour apple ginger sauce over ham.
- Cook ham on high for 3 hours or on low for 5-6 hours.
- Remove ham to a serving platter and drizzle with leftover apple ginger sauce, or serve sauce on the side.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 352 Total Fat 12g Saturated Fat 2g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 145mg Sodium 2232mg Carbohydrates 12g Fiber 0g Sugar 10g Protein 50g