It was crazy hot this weekend. I’m talking upper 90’s. Since it was hotter than Hades, we did what any body does on heat wave days….a whole bunch of nothing. We did go swimming, and got weird burns around the arm pits. We plopped ourselves under the fan, and drank ice-cold beverages. We felt lazy and lethargic. You know what happens when you feel lazy and lethargic? You think of food. And generally once you start thinking of food, you start eating food. A popsicle would seem to be the obvious choice, but on days like these, they melt the instant you unwrap them! What a sticky bother.
On summer days, I love anything key lime flavored. Absolutely anything! So when I was thinking of a fun dessert to make, I knew it had to made with key lime. Didn’t want to do pie and didn’t want to turn on the oven. These chocolate key lime squares fit the bill. They are bite sized with a powerful hit from the chocolate AND key lime! Can anything be more perfect? Did I mention I didn’t have to turn on the oven???? You’d be surprised how nicely the flavors complement one another. Neither the chocolate nor the key lime is overpowering. All in one bite you taste the silky sweet chocolate, the smooth, creamy key lime center and the crunchy chocolate crust. It’s a beautiful thing. You will love this dessert, even on the hottest of days. It’s my new favorite summer treat! I should make a point, however to make these in the middle of winter. Then I’ll be reminded of these hot summer days, where the sun beat down on us, we did nothing and we were happy.
A smooth, creamy no bake treat the combines the taste of chocolate and key lime in each bite.
5 minsPrep Time
20 minsCook Time
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 12 oz bag chocolate chips, divided
- 2 cups chocolate wafers pulsed into crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 3T key lime juice, such as Nellie and Joe's
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2T milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- Grease an Â 8 Â x 8Â pan. In a small saucepan melt 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup chocolate chips, stirring constantly. Once butter is completely melted, remove from heat. Add chocolate wafer crumbs and stir until combined. Press into the bottom of the pan. Set in fridge for 10-20 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat 1/4 cup softened butter, the key lime juice, extract and milk. Slowly add in powdered sugar beating on low until smooth and spreadable. Spread over crumb layer. Set in fridge again for another 10-20 minutes.
- Finally, melt remaining chocolate and butter on low. Stirring constantly until smooth. Pour over key lime layer. Keep in refrigerator until set, about 15-30 minutes.
- Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker