It’s no secret that I am NOT a big fan of Jello. At least not in the wiggly, jiggly, traditional sense. I have too many memories of Jello molds with raisins, carrots and apples. Ack! But I used Jello today. I’m actually glad I did! Only strawberry gelatin could turn my Rice Krispies the perfect shade of pink for these hearts. The bonus was the strawberry flavor enveloping each rice puffed morsel. Lip smacking good! I suppose Jello has survived the decades for a reason. Perhaps I’m being way too hard on Jello. And I admit that it’s possible I’ve underestimated the power of Jello. While I’m not ready to bring back the Jello molds or create Jello salads, I will say that someday, I may even buy another box of Jello. Thats saying a lot!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 5 cups Rice Krispy cereal
- 1 box strawberry flavor gelatin (3 oz)
- 1 cup red chocolate candy melts
- Melt butter and marshmallows in a large saucepan. Stir until completely smooth and melted. Remove from heat and stir in cereal and jello. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Let cool completely.
- When cereal has cooled, cut in heart shapes with a cookie cutter. Re using scraps. Set hearts apart on a rack with wax paper underneath.
- Melt candy in a bowl in 30 second intervals until completely melted, stirring until smooth. Pour chocolate into a zip top baggie. Snip a corner and drizzle over Rice Krispy hearts. Let set.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Makes 16
And now for some big news!!! I’m so excited for my first giveaway! I’ve joined an amazing group of bloggers to bring you this:
Kindle Fire Giveaway brought to you by:
Giveaway runs from Friday the 18th at 12 a.m. to Friday the 25th at 12 a.m. A $50 Amazon gift card will be given away with the Kindle Fire. Good luck!